Author Topic: Nice Pa 7 point down.  (Read 5568 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Nice Pa 7 point down.
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »
Well guys I have'nt been on the site in a while but I"v been building bows and hunting.
   Saturday morning , October 29th,I decided to check out one of my evening hunting spots for scrapes and deer activity.The morning was cold and overcast with about an inch of freshly fallen snow on the ground. Mind you I wasn't planning on seeing any deer as it is NORMALLY an evening spot when the deer come to the soybean field to feed. I planned to hunt here in the morning then driving to Jon Houks( Straightarrow) house for the REAL hunt in the evening. I got up in my ladder stand at about 7:30.
       I had juiced up a couple of well used scrapes with doe in estrous urine on the way in. The nearest scrape was roughly 15 yards away.
       I got all settled into my stand and was prepared to wait a couple hours and then head home.I texted Jon and wished him good luck.At about 7:45,only about 10 minutes after full daylight. I heard the sound of a deer walking in the crunchy leaves very close. I slowly stood with bow in hand and faced the direction the noise was coming from. Before me was a beautiful 7 point buck! As the buck got downwind of the nearest scrape he stopped 12 yards from my tree and lifted his head to test the air. I slowly drew anchored and released. I hit the deer right above the kill zone with a spine shot that penetrated through the lungs and lodged in the off shoulder! The deer dropped, back legs and left front leg crippled and tried to drag itself away on the one remaining good leg. At about 20 yards I released another arrow that pierced the bucks heart and passed completely through.
     I very shakily sat down in my stand and tried to pull myself together( Yeah Right!) I texted Jon,and about a million other people, at about 8:00 and told them I had a buck down. After many cell phone pats on the back I got down To admire my trophy.The buck had 4 points on his right beam, which is very thick and palmated.His left side has 3 points including a 5.5 inch brow tine. He is not real wide but decently tall.
     The bow I used was a 74# hickory flatbow, ash arrows, and trade points made from spoons...... Ironically the wood used to make the bow was harvested from the same property I was hunting. The deer died 10 feet from the hickory stump where the bow came from!
 This hunt will go down as my best hunt yet! But then, at the time, all hunts are the best when they happen!

"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline tetaxidermy

Re: Nice Pa 7 point down.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:02:05 pm »
Nice shooting, nothing wrong with a spine shot, no tracking!
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:12:17 pm »
Awesome job brother and fantastic story. Its amazing how things can change and happen in a second......I was completely shocked when you text me back saying that you got one.... just incredible! Congratulations my friend.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »
Yeeeeeah buddy....congrats again my friend.....I mustve rubbed off some good mojo on your heavy hickory when I shot it earlier this year..lol :laugh:...way to go Bill,you've had a really good season bro ;D

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:18:47 am »
Tetaxidermy: Thanks for the kind words
Jon and Chris: Thanks alot guys, I only wish the 2 of you could've been there to share in the fun! That's about the only thing that could've made this hunt better! I wish the best to you guys in the rest of your seasons.
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:04 am »
Congrats. Nice buck
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:56:31 am »
Bill,

Great to hear from you again. Nice story. Great shooting and an awesome buck! Congrats!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:57:11 am »
Nice job Bill,congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:40:28 am »
Bill you hunt with a 74# bow?? Well, looks like it works for ya.My compliments , sir.

Lane

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »
Bill, congrats on a fine buck . 74# damn my shoulders are a hurting just think of pullin that on a frosty morning.  ;D ;D  Bob

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:39:07 pm »
  SWEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »
Congratulations on a beauty of a deer.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »
Nice deer!  Its a wonderful feeling isnt it
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:32 am »
Hard to beat taking meat with a weapon you made with your own hands! Congrats!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »
Yes the bow turned out kinda heavy, but shots really well for it's weight. It's not my first deer with a selfbow or my biggest buck with a selfbow, but is my best hunt yet.( And shortest lol)
Bill Stockdill