Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 2814 times)

Offline dwardo

Tiller check please
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:57 am »
Ayup :)

I have a little cherry bow that i am working on which is destined for a knife smith. We have decided to do a skills swap rather than cash exchanging hands so i would like a second opinion on this as its not just for me.

He wants something around 35-40lbs with all the trimmings horn tips, silk back etc.
So.. first question is, is the tiller OK besides maybe a few scrapes right limb about 5-6 inch out? Also has anyone ever tried putting silk over a cambium back? I removed the out bark and left the inner which is almost a carbon copy of the inner but i dont know how well the silk will stick over an uneven surface, would like to keep it as it looks brilliant. I had worried about the cambium popping off as with some white woods but on cherry it seems stuck fast. I tried a few test bits and the belly broke before the back. I dont think it needs a backing but for my first "bow made for someone" i would like the insurance if possible.
I still have a bit of weight to play with as its 48 at 28, needs to be no more than 45 really when done.
By the way its 60 inch. Bottom limb is a little stiffer as it feels better in the hand and the bow is asym by an inch (bottom limb left). Taken about half inch of set so far and whilst i could heat it out i dont want to add any more weight and i think a little follow adds a little more insurance.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:54:41 am by dwardo »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:42 am »
That looks super! Very nice. I never used cherry but I believe the inner bark will start to peel if left as a selfie but probably be ok when silk backed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:07:43 am »
Looks really nice to me also.He should like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:30:04 am »
Call me crazy but I think that profile is picture perfect....
rich

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:38 am »
Thanks George, Pappy,
Rich, i dont think we will ever find that perfect profile  :laugh: its the end of the rainbow we all chase lol.

Thanks for the comments all, i want this to be a special one so will take my time with the finish and get it posted up here when its done. What should come out nice is the contrast between heart and sapwood, almost like a subtle yew colour. I bet this will end up as a nice bow just because its not for me! :(

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:26 am »
Boy, that bow looks great! Is that black cherry? If so, from what I've heard, you've done an outstanding job with it... heck, it looks outstanding no matter what kind of wood it is made from.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:32 pm »
Boy, that bow looks great! Is that black cherry? If so, from what I've heard, you've done an outstanding job with it... heck, it looks outstanding no matter what kind of wood it is made from.

Thanks Matt, Its the same wood as the one at the bottom of this post:-

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25689.msg349952.html#msg349952

from the same stand infact. Its nice stuff although this one seems to have a nice heartwood/sapwood combo. Prunus avium.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »

Thanks Matt, Its the same wood as the one at the bottom of this post:-

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25689.msg349952.html#msg349952

from the same stand infact. Its nice stuff although this one seems to have a nice heartwood/sapwood combo. Prunus avium.

Ok, so it is not the Black Cherry Prunus serotina we have over here in the States.
Always enjoy seeing your work!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »
  I love the looks of the braced profile

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:01:30 pm »
I dunno, it looks like the top may be 2 thousandths of an inch off. :laugh:

Nice job
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:30 pm »
that is a beautiful full draw , i dont think it gets better than that

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »
Looks good. I also like cherry and it's colours. The inner bark can be split and used for beautiful deep red coloured 'wraps' on arrows, bow limb etc.
In the drawn picture it looks to me like the upper limb is bending a little too much out of the handle then a little stiff mid limb, only a few scrapes stiff though. I think thats whats making it act stiff in the tip position on the board.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »
that's an awesome full draw, great job, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »
I agree just awesome full draw and braced pic sweet.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 11:13:59 pm »
Very nice job..  Hope the Knife is Half as nice.. Good on Ya,  Chuck
Armstrong, BC