Author Topic: Help with new bow  (Read 21804 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Help with new bow
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:39 pm »
I got a soft spot for ugly dogs, ugly trucks, and ugly bows. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:34 am »
I could not sleep thinking about this bow so I got up at 3:30 and worked on it till 7:00am.   This hobby is crazy.  So here is where I am at on half of the bow.  I finshed chasing the remaining islands from the knots and cleaned up the saw makes on the sides.  I left the bow a little wide about an 1/8 on each side.  Should I bring the sides in now or wait till I have more of the belly removed? I have not worked a bow like this before so I don't know.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:02:57 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »
What a piece of wood! John you sure do a great job of takin pictures all along the way to keep us posted on your progress. Wish I was better at that.

Now about the bow (got ur pm BTW,) you got a ton of wood to remove. belly handle and sides, if you want. I would start with the belly and get it to floor tiller. Be extra vigilant around that big bend as a spoke shave tends to want to peel more wood off there than you want. Probably a rasp is best around that curve, both on sides and the belly. Once you get it bending evenly aroung that big bend teh bow will start coming together fast. Leave the limbs and the tips wide up to the end and then you can play with width or string alignment a little.

I'm curious, what weight are you shootin for and how is the concavity of the back looking now that you have the bow laid out.

Keep taking pictures and... try to get some sleep!!   ???  :o  ;)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:52 pm »
I was hoping to be at 55lbs before it is shot in.  I will photo the concavity so you can see.  I am 2 or more inches wide.    I have worked real hard to get to this point I just don't want to make a big mistake.  If anyone has suggestion please jump in. Now that you brought up the concavity I was think of thinning the side the way I have the line drawn in the photo.  This would center the knots and reduce the concavity.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:13:41 pm by iowabow »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 11:34:39 am »
I don't see a problem with that concave area its kinda normal !!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:59 pm »
Whatever you chose, make sure you are following the grain of the wood.  I find I have the best luck following those lines in early morning light when the sun is low on the horizon and my eyes are well rested after a good night's sleep. 

It's fun to watch this bow shedding extra wood and coming into her own.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2011, 12:40:17 am »
Great progress!! My dog and I are loving this thread and your stave but then we're a bit twisted  ;D

I can't wait to see you make a bow out this :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:12:13 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »
I have had an osage bow blow because I left the back concave....it had been to 28 inch 50+ times on the tiller and shot about the same then booooommmmm ::) It definately failed on the raised edges.
Personally I would remove the edges but not touch the middle sort of like reverse de-crowning. As long as the grain lines you expose run parallel all the way the back will be much much stronger than it is now. Others may think differently but I wouldn't even think about leaving it like that. Another option would be to only sinew the edges say 1/4 to 5/16th wide strips....but I don't like that option!
You are so lucky to have found a piece of wood like that! Go careful ;)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »
first osage bow i made had a concave back like that.
tricky to get the ring chased-being brand new at it and having a time figuring things out.
finally found an old native made crook knife in a pawn shop in alaska-perfect tool for that piece of wood.
its 48# @ 28" and still shoots right well for a first attempt.
it's had hundreds and hundreds of arrows thru it
wild women don't get the blues

Offline iowabow

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »
As a new bowyer it is really good to hear all of this opinions.   

Offline iowabow

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »
After thinning limb

Offline iowabow

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »
I worked on the bow for 3 hours today.  It is bending ok and the handle is taking form.  The curve is really cool so I have been thinking about calling this bow river or flint creek for the name of our creek and because it looks like a creek.  I think I will put some heat to it in the caul and shaping up a little before I floor tiller anymore. But hunting this afternoon so I will wait till tonight.

Offline dbb

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »
Its getting there ;) really cool projekt,and thanks for letting us follow it step by step!

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline iowabow

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 09:59:43 am »
Heating the bow and forming the center line.  This was nerve racking.  I was afraid that any moment the bow was going to pop.   I over bent the limb in hope that they will line up. I am sure I will have to do this a number of times till I get things right.  This new ground for me.   I have not bent wood to such a large degree with heat before.  If this makes a bow I will be surprsed.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 11:05:09 am »
Man that stave is a roller coaster ride.  I'm watching and hoping for you.
1’—>1’