Author Topic: Band Saw  (Read 8961 times)

Kev K.

Band Saw
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:56 am »
Hi I am planning on buying my first band saw soon and I was wandering what the best size saw is for building bows. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Band Saw
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:11:16 am »
14", 1hp motor and the name Grizzly!  Can't go wrong. ;)  Just .com that and see what they have to offer.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Kev K.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:12:06 am »
Thanks Pat :D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:01:41 am »
Well Pat is close.  14" for sure, but go with the ShopFox.  ;) It has bearings not cool blocks. Good price too.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:07 am »
My 12" delta has been good to me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:26:44 am »
I also have the shopfox, about $500 and came with a fence and miter and the roller bearings as Justin said. Good saw for the money!
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:05 am »
I like my 15 in. Sears but I think more than throat depth is the blade length I have one with a
90 in. blade and the bigger one is 111.That give the blade time to cool on big stuff.It really
depends on what you plan to do with it.I cut a lot of big stuff if you plan to do that with it buy the best and biggest you can afford. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »
  I just got a Rigiid 14",and it works for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:42 pm »
OK,  I think you are good with most brands.  I think that 14" is the absolute minimum though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:54 am »
I thought those 12" Deltas that Costco was selling would be great if you kept very sharp blades on them.  I do almost everything on an 11" Shopsmith bandsaw and it works fine with sharp blades and poorly with dull ones.  Grizzly makes a great 14" bandsaw that I think comes in under $390 that has bearings.  I've used it a lot at a friend's shop.  My maintenance shop at work has a 18" Rikon with a 2 hp. motor that's great but totally over-kill for anything I do on bows.  I would go with Justin and others that say 14" is the way to go if you can afford it.  If I had my choice it would probably be a 14 Powermatic--but I clearly don't have a choice.

J. D.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:41:46 am by J. D. Duff »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 01:16:02 am »
And be sure it has a 1hp motor(at least) and not a motor that will produce 1hp. There is a diffeaence.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:49:01 pm »
Pappy, I noticed that you had one under the shed identical to mine. The ancient Craftsman bandsaw/sander, I think it's 14-15" an d 1/2 horsepower. I bought mine very used for 50 bucks, and I've cut a ton of wood with it. Even wades through osage splits.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 03:47:51 am »
I can't complain about my 12" Craftsman.

jamie

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 05:34:05 am »
justin id love to hear why you would take bearings over blocks.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 11:53:56 am »
justin id love to hear why you would take bearings over blocks.
Many of the lower priced saws have plastic blocks.  All of the blocks wear, except the steel ones, but the plastic ones will wear real fast.  I had to replace the blocks within a couple of months. I had nothing but problems until I purchased the carbon fiber blocks. With the bearings you also don't have to keep adjusting the guides to match the blade.  The bearings also do not rub on the blade and add heat, so the blades last longer.  Justin

SW Utah