Author Topic: Stone killed Muley Buck  (Read 20678 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Stone killed Muley Buck
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »
I finally punched out my buck tag last night.  I had been holding out for a Muley Buck.
They seem to be increasingly hard to find this year. But I had this guy on my place
in the Bull Mountains, Montana. I have been chasing him around since the opener and
he was getting really good at giving me the slip and winding me. We had our first snow
yesterday (very late this year) and I knew it would be a great day to get out after him.
I figured the snow and a cold snap would kick start the early rut so I brought a grunt
tube along and grunted every half hour or so.  Bout an hour before dusk I grunted and
sure enough he grunted back and came in pushing a doe and 2 fawns in front of him.
I had to be extra careful not to get busted by the does so I put my finger tab on the
string and raised up in ready. It was forever til they finally walked in to a reasonable
range. All the while gripping the string as they wandered in, putting him on the trail
roughly 10 yards away. I drew and as I released my tab stuck to the string and the arrow
didn't leave clean. Only thing I can figure is that the tab was wet and froze to the string.
My arrow did still make contact a little low and a little far back, and Although not a
completely text book recovery, I gave him plenty of time and then followed the tracks
in the snow. No blood showed in 100 yards so I did the responsible thing and backed
out til morning. I picked up the tracks the next morning and followed him through the
maze of deer tracks in the fresh snow. It really put my tracking to the test with no
blood to follow. A younger me would have given up after a couple hundred yards. Im really
 glad I didnt! As I furthered my hunt I spotted some tiny specks of blood in the snow
and eventually it turned into a trickle. I continued with caution and then a raven flew
up off the ground and I figured "I bet thats him". I continued slow, ready for a follow
up but sure enough he was piled up already expired.
       Not a huge buck by any means but I was plenty happy for my first Muley Buck with a bow.
3x3 stag horn.  Took him with one of my "Twistedlimbs" Osage bows, a cane arrow and a
stone point I knapped out of Keokuk Chert. The arrow passed through both sides and
I recovered the arrow and point intact and still very sharp.  so not only did I get my
first Muley bucK, but I also put another down this year with stone.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Stone killed Muley Buck
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:35 pm »
Gotta love it when a plan comes together. You give me hope for my final week, thanks!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »
Well done!
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:10:17 pm »
Adventure, that is what most of us are really after and man, you found it! Really enjoyed
the story and pics. Thanks and congratulations.

Lane

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »
Now thats a hunt,welldone

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
You da man! That is awesome. Congratulations

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:17:44 pm »
Well done!!! Fine looking buck and bow!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »
Awesome buck!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:10:01 pm »

Dang boy, that is a nice one!  :o  No, not a trophy book deer, but still it has bragging rights, as to the method you took it, and never gave up on it.  Not to mention some great meat. 8)  I know I sure would be proud of it!  Are you going to soak the meat now, to get the blood out of it?  Or are you going to wait till you get ready to cook it?  Nice outfit you have there, and obviously quite effective. ;)  Man that must have given you a few moments of grief when the tab stuck to the string and arrow! >:(

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:25 am »
Awesome stuff Ryan, have always loved the muley rack. It's not huge but nice nonetheless.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:20:08 am »
Nice buck and beautifully knapped point!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 09:25:26 am »
An accomplishment to be proud of! Congrats!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:21 am »
Thats a nice buck Ryan. Congrats! hard to believe no blood at all with a exit hole and a low hit.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cracker

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 11:16:37 am »
Congratulations great story and a fine buck. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Will H

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »
Congratulations! Great story and a great deer! I just love seein em get stoned!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"