Author Topic: SG TESTING  (Read 5291 times)

Offline druid

Re: SG TESTING
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:52 am »
Stixman, you are very wrong. You can not always get symetrical shape for SG testing and errors are large while floating method. The way I am talking about is much more accurate, doesn't affected by human.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
The problem with any shape other than rectangular is that you have a real difficult time determining what percentage is under water.

I use George's method, look it up on line to get a close SG. After I have worked a specie of wood a couple of times I can usually tell if it is dense for its species by the way the tools work.

Like was said, there are exceptions so trying new woods even if the SG is not what you expect is a good idea. Yew has a low SG but is good as mentioned. Ipe has an SG at or over 1 many times but rather than being to heavy, it is incredible.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »
Ultimately, when you get to the bottom of the sheet of paper and have covered every last inch with calculations, graphs, and notations....what are you gonna do?

BUILD A FLIPPIN' BOW AND SEE IF IT SHOOTS!   ;D  Right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »
Druid:  I respectfully disagree.  Any time you use an instrument, there is inherent error in the instrument, and there is always inherent human error in reading any instrument, even a simple ruler.  The more measurements you have to take, the more the error is compounded for any method.  My method is not error free, i just feel it has less potential error than other methods if done correctly, and doesn't require a sensitive scale or precision ruler.  But that's more science philosophy than anything. 

That being said, whichever method you use, the error involved won't affect the results so much as to make you work your bow differently.  All you really need is to get an idea whether your stave is low, high, or average for it's species.  The difference would have to be dramatic to affect your treatment of the wood.  I like the method i mentioned because it's quick, simple, and accurate enough for the bowyer's purposes.  I haven't found it very difficult to find/cut pieces suitable-- from lumber or staves.  I've only done SG testing twice, more out of curiosity than anything else. 

I truly admire the work you do on your bows, they are always very impressive, so let me emphasize this as a respectful disagreement ;D 

But in the end I agree with JW, let's go shave some wood 8)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:02 pm »
...there is always inherent human error in reading any instrument, even a simple ruler.

Ain't that the truth! I went home the other day and used the cm3/gram=SG formula and was consistently getting results about 30% higher than I should have been. Of course, that's probably because I was using a tape measure with 1/16" increments and then converting to metric. Guess I shouldn't be trusted with a simple ruler ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:32 pm »
g/cc or centimeters cubed for density as it pertains to SG. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!