Author Topic: Best use for new batch of feathers?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Best use for new batch of feathers?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 03:05:02 am »
That darned economist in me is alwayse seeking the Adam Smith route to more efficient production.  BUT I'm not a commercial arrow maker.  99% of my arrow making is in the basement at night while the family sleeps.  That burnt feather smell has "Scott gets kicked out" written all over it.

Exacto and template it is for me.

However, one of the videos I stumbled across a guy was using what I ~THINK~ was Guinea Foul feathers. Those were lovely!  Jet black with tons of little white dots.  Kinda like a clear nights sky.  I bet Fly Shops would have that.... or Ebay, which I'm not on.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:54:24 am »
Neigbors have a bunch of guinnys that roam all over my property,I cant run fast enough to catch one,but if I ever do ill get some!!  ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:50:39 am »
Rick,

I doubt a guinny is any faster than a chicken...an arrow will work.  I use a broadhead, shoot em either @ the top of the breast/bottom of neck from the front or mid back if from behind, just try not to put it through the breast or a thigh.  huh, sounds like I've done that before....... >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 02:59:25 am »
I thought about that,,dont really want to shoot one,dont really care if the neibers get mad or not,just like watchin them!!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:31 am »
They eat a lot of bugs out of your yard too, but quite noisy.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 01:22:01 am »
Mmmm.. Roasted Guinny is AWESOME!!!!

Yes they Did look like Guinny feathers... Heck I'd love to try some myself some day.
If they roost in a hen house, uncommon but not impossible, feathers can be harvested at night.
When I was a kid we used to clip the feathers on one wing to keep our birds in the Chicken Pen...
Guinnys make good guard birds. Nobody can sneak up on the place if you have a few around.
Kinda Like mini Peacocks.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:04 am »
Neigbors have a bunch of guinnys that roam all over my property,I cant run fast enough to catch one,but if I ever do ill get some!!  ;D

I alwayse wanted Guineas on my property NOT when I took up fly tying, or hunting.  I ordered it off a menu at a resturant in NYC.  Like chicken injected with AWESOMENESS!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:34 am »
I used to raise guineas, they taste a lot like pheasant.  Unfortunately, the hens are broody as heck and will not nest in a coop.  As soon as they were ready to nest  they wouldn't come in at night and the coons got every one.  I had a beautiful blue one, the coon left blue feathers all over the yard chasing it down in the dark.  Too high maintenance for me.  Very loud too, sound a little like a machine gun when they get spooked...and they get spooked a lot.  The primary wing feathers are quite thin, I never even considered using one for an arrow.  Would be beautiful though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 01:00:15 pm »
Yes Sir,

Our guineafowl would roost up on some horizontal pipes and beams that made up part of the structure of the Chicken Pen...
The whole pen was enclosed with chicken wire to keep the varmints out and the birds in.
Some would even hang out on top of the Chicken Coop, even with a clipped wing.

I liked the flavor and the Prehistoric look of the birds. So that's what pheasant tastes like? :)
Wasn't making arrahs at the time so guineafowl fletch never crossed my mind.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
Pheasant is better than guinea Gus.  I would rate my favorite wild fowl in this order based on taste (chicken thrown in for reference):
  • bobwhite quail
  • hungarian partridge
  • pheasant
  • chicken
  • turkey
  • guinea
  • sage grouse
  • dove

There are other game birds that I don't have enough experience in to rate.  Never did much waterfowl hunting.  I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 07:33:53 pm »
Pheasant is about the bottom of my gamebird tasting list, too bland.  I really like the sharptail grouse, dove, and hun partridge. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 09:17:35 pm »
i'm a big fan of mountain quail and chucker, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »
Pheasant is about the bottom of my gamebird tasting list, too bland.  I really like the sharptail grouse, dove, and hun partridge.

Really???  Dove is without a doubt the worst tasting gamebird I've eaten.  It takes very skilful cooking to make it edible.  So far I haven't met a partridge I didn't love to eat.  I've only had chucker from a game farm and it was excellent.  Course it had a steady diet of corn I'll bet. Prairie chicken was pretty good too.  Grew up on pheasant and it is still my fav.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
Try plucking the feathers from the breast of the dove, cut the breast loose from the bird with shears, and grill on a screaming hot grill bone side down for about a minute, flip over for 30 seconds and serve.  Dove when medium rare is incredible....when it gets past that point it is tough, dry, and tastes like bad liver!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:29 am »
Ah, maybe that was my problem.  They taste like bad liver to me almost every time.  The only way I like them is marinated in teriyaki overnight, wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill.
St Paul, TX