Author Topic: Head-on tanning  (Read 4246 times)

Offline dean

Head-on tanning
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »
I've seen a few pics here and there of hides used for capes/cloaks that still had the head of the animal attached. I've only seen this done with bear and deer (bucks). The head is kind of like a hood.

How can this be done? Wouldn't the meat between the skin and skull be problematic?

Offline Dazv

Re: Head-on tanning
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »
i think it must be taken off then the hide tanned and the skull treated(brains flesh ect removed) the i thenk they must stich the hide bcak onto the skull. That is just what i think the might do but i could be very wrong.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:54:34 pm »
The head is fully skinned with a special technique called caping.  Depending on the species, it can be a very complicated process especially around the mouth, nose, eyes, and ears.  A taxidermist can do it for you, or you can check your library for do-it-yourself taxidermy books.

Most of those heads with the eyes, teeth, and so on are actually plastic and putty with the skins re-mounted carefully. 

Turkeys are a famous exception.  None of the fake heads look all that good, so tuekey farmers sell the heads off mature gobblers and they are freeze-dried, airbrushed, and sold ready made to taxidermists. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dean

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I've seen instructional videos on caping and it doesn't look all too difficult. I could be wrong but I at least understand the basics.

I might give it a try this season.