Author Topic: Missed my first deer today!  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Missed my first deer today!
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:54:33 pm »
Saw 3 does right before dark... they were eating acorns around 40 or 50 yards off... one of the does started walking down the trail to the right of my stand at a brisk pace.  When she got in my shooting lane between the tree branches I hollered "HEY" to get her to stop... She stopped and at that time I was already bringing my bowstring back to my anchor point below my cheekbone. 
As soon as I hit my anchor I was already releasing the bowstring, Instinctive shooting as I have been doing for 3 or so years now. Don't even have to think about it just pick a spot and the arrow goes there how much easier can it get right???  The arrow sailed harmlessly right over her back... guess I need to practice more from an elevated position.  :)
She ran about 5 or 6 paces and stopped... She was looking all around wondering what the WOOSH was i guess LOL.   She went back to eating acorns and walking around, the other two does circled around behind my stand and started rustling in the leaves and eating acorns again.  The doe came back and started sniffing my arrow and was turned quartered towards me at 15 yards... She just stood there looking around for what seems like an eternity.  I drew down on her and couldn't pick a spot that I felt comfortable with so I didn't shoot at her again I let her walk. 
She joined the other two does behind my stand so I sat there for the rest of the afternoon watching them and taking pictures with my cell phone.  It was a great hunt...got the blood pumping even though I wasn't successful it was a blast and I am going back next weekend.  This week I am going to practice from the roof so I will be able to get my arrows lower where I want them.  6 inches lower and I would be eating backstraps tomorrow night.  :)  thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:58:21 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline lowell

Re: Missed my first deer today!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:02:50 am »
Sounds like an exciting time anyway!! 8) 

I have missed my share from a stand and always over them.  The last one I got I aimed a little low on the deer and it worked out for me.... Best of luck on your next opportunity
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:10 am »
sounds pretty successful to me. Well done on not taking that second shot and good luck for next time keep us posted.

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »
i feel your pain! :-\ I did the exact same thing last week. Good luck!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:48:51 am »
I've killed a doe before in mid-sniff on the arrow from my first errant shot.  I've killed more than one that circled completely around the tree to try and figure out made that sound.  Not sure why they didn't wind me...they normally do.  I've killed a couple does that were so curious that they scent trailed me to the tree and wandered around the base until I got a shot.  Anyway, you'll get your deer, it's only a matter of time.  Some of them seem bound and determined to remove themselves from the gene pool.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:45:59 am »
Josh,

That's too bad about the miss, but sure sounds like a great time! Best of luck this weekend.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:25:34 am »
Sorry about the miss,good story.I have missed my share also,just got ot keep at it,odds will catch up sooner or later. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good