Author Topic: Bamboo arrows & a hello  (Read 5403 times)

Offline dog.breath

Bamboo arrows & a hello
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to archery - I've only been shooting about 2 years, maybe a little less.  I think I've got the bug, though.  I've been having a good time recently making bamboo arrows and experimenting with different fletching styles.  There seems to be something immensely satisfying about shooting arrows you've made yourself.  I may need to try making my own bow to expand on that feeling.  Here's a picture of my most recent batch.

Cheers!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bamboo arrows & a hello
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:57 am »
Welcome ,good looking set of arrows. Nice work.Looking forward to seeing more. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:49:57 am »
nice batch of arrows. like the different fletching styles.
did you come to an conclusion on how you felt they shot?
yes, definitely looking forward to seeing more of yr work.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 12:25:51 pm »
Welcome d.b,

Nice lookin' work.  I've not made a bow yet either, but have staves cut for use this winter if they cured right.  Good luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:28 pm »
great looking arrows, what kind of points do you have on them???

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, all.

nice batch of arrows. like the different fletching styles.
did you come to an conclusion on how you felt they shot?
yes, definitely looking forward to seeing more of yr work.

I think I've been shooting most consistently with the one at the top and the one 2nd from the bottom in the top picture.  I'm still not always a consistent shooter, though, even with a matched set of arrows, so it could be my imagination.  I have a few more shafts from the last set I ordered, so I think I'm going to make the rest with the squared profile like the one 2nd from the bottom.

great looking arrows, what kind of points do you have on them???

So far I've only been in the habit of target shooting, so I'm just using field points, at the moment.  I might swap some out with small game points when I feel a little more confident in my shot placement.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:29 am »
Great looking arrows.  I do have a question, is there a reason for putting your fletching so far down on your shafting from the back?  Just curious?

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:26:24 am »
Good looking arrows and hello right back.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 11:14:19 am »
I love my boo shafts. I had a few do some funny stuff early on, but its good now. Welcome to the Big Show! Hang around here for a week and you will be starting your own bow. Its as easy as store bought pie when you have an inter-active bow building encyclopedia at your finger tips.

I dont place my feathers that far ahead Charlie, but I do slide them up a touch as he does. I dont like feeling them near my face.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 11:40:33 am »
Great looking arrows.  I do have a question, is there a reason for putting your fletching so far down on your shafting from the back?  Just curious?

No real reason, to be honest.  I made a couple like that, and they seemed to work well, so the rest have followed suit.

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:59 am »
Welcome to the Big Show! Hang around here for a week and you will be starting your own bow.

Thanks! I'd been thinking about building a bow. Then I stumbled on PA, just a couple days ago, and wow, there's a lot of inspiration floating around here! I suspect I'm going to try something soon :)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
great looking arrows what kind of points do you have on them???

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:21:11 pm »
great looking arrows what kind of points do you have on them???

Just field points.  I may try something else some day - maybe some trade points or small game points.  Stone points seem like they'd go well, but I have no knack for knapping, so probably unlikely I'll try those.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »
One thing I noticed in the photos of the arrows is how nicely parallel they all are in the target.  That's awesome!  That tells me you have a combination of well matched shafts and a consistent release.  From here your groups will just get tighter.  Good work! 

I hate making arrows, so I am really envious of yours. 

Pearlie is absolutely right, this forum gives you access to hundreds of thousands of hours of practical experience in all things primitive archery related.  Nobody here is going to hold back either, that's just not our way.  When you are ready to get started on your bow, post some of your arrows for trade on the Trading Post and watch the offers for materials and tools come rolling in! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:09:19 am »
Thank you, JW. That's very encouraging :)