Author Topic: Wavy Lightening Grooves  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Tatanka Kute

Wavy Lightening Grooves
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »
I'm making some plains style arrows and I want to put some wavy or zigzag lightening grooves on them.  I made a groover but it seems like it would be pretty tricky to get the curves even without seeing under the groover. Does anyone know a trick?  I was thinking about using a pencil and exacto :-\

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wavy Lightening Grooves
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
I have a tool I made for making lightening grooves in arrows. I'll try to post pics tonight for you.
  it is a pretty simple tool but you will have to guide it for the groove you want.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:05:16 pm »
I wish there was a trick!  If you find one let me know.
I use a pointed piece of flint and go slooowww.  It takes me about 10 minutes per groove.  After each arrow, I get "groover's cramp".  I shake it out, get more coffee, and do another.  That's it for me.  Two arrows a day is plenty.   :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:06:24 am »
These are my arrow making tools.

The grooving tool...

I used a sheetrock screw with the point sharpened to a blade to cut the groove.The shaft rides in the channel of the tool with a small amount of the blade sticking through.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 02:12:03 am »
Sorry for the stupid question but you got my interest, what is a lightening groove? :-[ Got any pics of one? Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 10:48:34 am »
thanks pat-have one of the tools for making grooves. basically the same but a scrap of osage cut off a bow with a "v" cut the length. anyhoos, never thought about sharpening that screw. likely make for a neater groove and possibly more control over where it goes. i typically lock  the tool in a vice and drag the arrow along it...
wild women don't get the blues

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:14:33 am »
Josh, lightening grooves are grooves cut in the shafts of some NA arrows. Some say they were to gather the strength of lightening and others say to help keep the shaft straight. I kind of follow the second train of thought.  Either side of the groove is thinner than the surrounding wood and dries faster and harder thus acting like splints along the shaft.

Offline Tatanka Kute

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »
That seems like it would be more controllable to have the tool in the vice, thanks sadiejane, I'll have to try that.
Here's how lightening grooves look, Josh. I didn't make these arrows or bow by the way...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:59:16 pm »
I've never made gooves in arrows intentionally  ;), but if I were to use them to straighten a shaft, would I use it on the outside of the arc to stiffen the bend back? 

Thanks to all for the photos, Pat, you may or may not know this, but I really like to see pics of toxo tools, 'specially home made ones.  Like those arrow straighteners there.

Cool post, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:02 pm »
Lightning grooves range from very wavy to very straight.  Some arrows had both types and some arrows didn't have any.  Some arrows had only one or two grooves but three grooves seems to be the most common.  Also, the grooves were probably a "buffalo culture" thing and was common among Plains Indians arrows.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:00:01 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr