Author Topic: my first trade point pic.  (Read 5806 times)

Offline Jesse

my first trade point pic.
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:58 am »
Well I got home from work today and found my bandsaw blades in the mail. Thanks V.B.  I decided to give it a try and was surprised how easy it went. I cut it with a dremel put gorilla glue on it wrapped it with some kind of heavy fishing line from my musky pole added a little super glue and waited an hour and a half. Thats all I could wait.  It shoots beautifully.I shot it about ten times so far it started getting dark. I have no idea on the weight but hey it flies straight so who cares.  Cant wait to make more. Oh yeah I sanded it with 400 then 1000 grit to get a little shine. I will probably not do that for hunting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:08:07 am by WIBOWYER »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: my first trade point pic.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:12:19 am »
Looks deadly to me. :o   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:23:00 am »
And a fine lookin trade point,it is at that.

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:38:14 pm »
Looks deadly!
 You'll lessen the chance that it'll fold over if you set it into the shaft a little farther. That'll bring the tip (which you need to taper a bit more to not impede penetration) closer to the tip of the trade point. Also provides more glueing surface strengthening the bond between point and arrow.
 Not knockin ya, ;) I wouldn't want you huntin me with that dern thing!
 Chris

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:16:33 pm »
Thanks.  How far in should it go? up to the widest section?  It  seems solid but I haven't hit a tree stump yet. That might fold it. The tang part goes about 3/4 of the length of my wrapping. I wasn't sure how to wrap it so once I had the point inserted in the shaft I took my dremel and cut 6 grooves 3 on each side of the shaft and the point at the same time. It worked well I was able to get three wraps in each groove before the string was flush. I honestly don't think I needed glue but I thought maybe the impact would cut the line.  Should I tapper the shaft to a point?       Thanks again for the advice I'm here to learn
                                                                                  Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

DBernier

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:13:53 pm »
wibowyer, even with a 50-55# bow it will go thru a deer. The sharper the better. The fact you have the tang so far up the shaft is the major good point. As far as folding it---no way. If the tang is seated against the bottom of the grove, it is as solid as you can get it.  No you do not have to tapper the shaft any more than you already have. Good job.

Dick

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 01:49:28 pm »
Hey thanks. D Bernier  this is fun stuff.
                                      Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 02:36:18 am »
Glad to see that the blade stock I'm sending out to people is working good, hope you get a chance to put it to the ultimate test.
VB