Author Topic: Leather mug  (Read 8298 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Leather mug
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »
I need some help in trying to make a leather mug. I have never made one. What to seal it in, A pattern, weight of leather. A person I work with was wanting one.
Any help would be great
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Leather mug
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:03:21 pm »
Traditionally brewer's pitch was used.  PM coming your way.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:58:14 am »
TJ, you will want to work with vegetable(oak) tanned leather(4oz to 6oz) and soak it in water until it is maliable. You can form it into all sorts of shapes within reason. You will probably have a stitched seam somewhere and that can be sealed with beeswax or like John said, brewers pitch. The whole inside at least should be well sealed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chigger

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »

Nugget if you know someone that has killed a Buck deer you have a ready made mug . Get the nutsack and salt it or use 20 Mule Team Borax and stretch it over a can till it dries and you will be surprised how big a can it will stretch over.I've made several and the last one I made I used a chili can about 4inches across and I've also  used Coke cans.You can leave a strip of flesh on it to make the handle.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:02:23 am »
Man, I just don't know what to say to that.   :P
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:01:40 am »
Thanks. I was not sure how beeswax would seal. Not sure if it would be food grade or not. Making it for someone else I wanted it to be sealed good and be safe.
I like the nutsack Idea chigger. :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:08:20 am »

Nugget if you know someone that has killed a Buck deer you have a ready made mug . Get the nutsack and salt it or use 20 Mule Team Borax and stretch it over a can till it dries and you will be surprised how big a can it will stretch over.I've made several and the last one I made I used a chili can about 4inches across and I've also  used Coke cans.You can leave a strip of flesh on it to make the handle.
i'm sorry, but that's just not right :-[
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:52 am »
Ok, I really want a deer scrote mug now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline chigger

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:36 pm »

I thought you boys wanted to be Primitive ,You can buy you a mug a Wally world.I'll try to post some pics ,I might even have one or two to trade ,My wife keeps one on her desk with pencils and we have another we have Hershey kisses in,I get to eat most of them, us Indians don't throw nothing away.

" we get the job done"

Offline nugget

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »
Chigger, let me know if you have one to trade. I am interested.

Offline chigger

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »

Here is a pic of the one my wife keep on her desk. My other ones are at our cabin in the woods .Send me an address and I'll try to get you one.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43:20 pm »
The beeswax would harden the leather and seal it.  Klingspors sells some food grade sealers for people turning salad bowls and stuff like that.  Lowes may have it.  I will look at the can when I get home and post the name of it.  I have one of those sacks dried.  It will have some buckskin sewn around the top and a drawsting closure.  I hope my best friends wife has a sense of humor because she is getting a new change purse.  I also have another that i put borax on and stretched over an old 16 ounce mountain dew bottle.  It may end up holding some pens or something.

Offline nugget

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 12:13:32 am »
Thanks chigger
Madcrow let me know what you find out

Offline chigger

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 12:20:49 am »
Nugget, I'll try to get that out to you the first of the week...

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »
Salad bowl finish made by general finishes.  Totally non toxic