Author Topic: Tillering for Three Under Shooters  (Read 6495 times)

Offline MLombard

Tillering for Three Under Shooters
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »
Hi Folks...What would be the difference in Tillering a bow for Three Under rather than Split finger..Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tillering for Three Under Shooters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:38:12 pm »
Im sure I will get "corrected" here. I tiller dead even and let my nock point movement do the rest. I shot 3 under for 10-12 years and switched to split this fall prior to hunting season. I adjusted my nock points and all my bows still shoot fine, just much more quiet than before.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
I don't know for sure but I'd imaging that you are correct, Perlie. Between the nock adjustment and your bow hand making adjustments to the different pressure that should cover it...but this is just a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »
Not sure either,but I do know if you order a custom bow they want to know if you shoot 3 under or split. I also seen a demonstration by G.Fred several years back where he used a really light weight glass bow.He had the arrow at 90 and pulled the bow back split finger,limb looked good then he went 3 under and the bottom limb over bent pretty bad. ????????????? I have never shot split finger so never really worried about it. :) Good question and discussion tho.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »
When I was shooting 3 under my nock point was about 3/8-1/2" high. Now its dead level with split finger. I suppose 3 under shortens your bottom limb by your index finger width x 2.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »
Im sure I will get "corrected" here. I tiller dead even and let my nock point movement do the rest. I shot 3 under for 10-12 years and switched to split this fall prior to hunting season. I adjusted my nock points and all my bows still shoot fine, just much more quiet than before.

Why is it more quiet?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:35:36 pm »
The limbs are of equal length with equal pressure on both. 3 under puts more stress on the bottom limb making it heavier or thicker if you will. These are opinions of mine only, grab a bow and try it.

Offline MLombard

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:48 am »
So maybe make the bottom limb Longer than the Top limb?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:05:42 am »
If the balance of the bow is off due to 3 under you should be able to feel it as you draw the bow. If it is slight your bow hand can adjust the angle of the bow to compensate. If more obvious raise or lower the nock point until it feels balanced. When I make Eastern Woodland type bows or other primitive types I usually don't have a nock locater on the string but place the arrow where the draw feels balanced. It usually shoots pretty well like that. If shot enough you will get the "feel" for a bow and how it shoots.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MLombard

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:27 am »
Thank, when ya put it that way it is easier to understand.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:29:28 am »
Keep it simple. It really doesn't have to be complicated...unless you want it to be.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:52 am »
Ive spent some time pondering on this very subject,in the past.In my thoughts,ive become convinced,that with a 3 under style,and a static risered bow,it needs to have a longer bottom limb,or positive tiller in the bottom limb.In a bow tillered the oposite for split fingered and shooting them 3 under,i noticed more set,in the bottom limb.I dont think its as big a deal on a working handled bow,as there is no set hand posistion,or arrow pass established and can be jockyed around a bit to compensate.Therefore...it can be tillered even.
Hope that makes sense.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 04:16:39 am »
The limbs are of equal length with equal pressure on both. 3 under puts more stress on the bottom limb making it heavier or thicker if you will. ...

Usually I make the bottom limb shorter, but for a 3 under shooter I would not do that to make sure bottom limb doesn't get overstressed.
Frank from Germany...

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:26:12 am »
I agree with Traxx and Frank, I think you are right on the fixed versus bendy handle,never really thought about it,I do like Pat on bendy handle bows, knock where they shoot the best and feel the best. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:44 am »
I shoot 3 under and normally I make my shelf 1" above center of the bow. Now I didn't do that because I shot 3 under, I did it so that my hand was sitting right onthe center of the bow and I had heard a bunch of people doing it that way, so I did it to. So that being said I would think that would be the best way to account for 3 under if that shooting method makes the bottom limb bend more, you'd want it to be longer. So raising the shelf above center would make sense. But other than my hypothesis I don't have a clue if that's right haha.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?