Author Topic: New guy. Just getting started  (Read 9662 times)

Offline jcathunter

New guy. Just getting started
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:47 am »
I bowhunted for over 20years with compounds and have rifle hunted the past few years but decided I'd like to try my hand at making a bow to use on a cougar and/or bear hunt.  I've been trying to research as much as possible and have decided to try Yew and Viney Maple.  My first try will be with Viney and possibly a yew if I can find a dead standing that will be workable this winter.  I got a permit and cut a little yew today.  Here are some pics of what I cut.

Packing out a little one

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: New guy. Just getting started
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:29:25 am »
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
can Yew ::) tell i'm a fan of yew ;)
great haul, cant wait to see what you can do with that
and by the way, welcome to what will devour all your free time from now on >:D
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 02:34:04 am »
Welcome Jcat. Yew will love it around these parts. Nice haul of yew. Ask all the questions you have. We'll get you hooked and teach you how to build a bow.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 02:43:41 am »
Thanks guys.  I've got another dandy tree picked out that I think will be even better than the best I got today.  I will be getting it very soon.  There is also several dead, standing trees.  What should I look for in a dead standing?  I'd like to get one and dry it out for a month or two and get started.  Is there anything different to look for other than what I would look for in a live tree?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:14:01 am »
if it is dead its dead for a reason, i fi were you, i would get a green yew stave and trade it for a seasoned stave of another kind ;)
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:05 am »
That is some fine looking Yew.
I'm off to harvest a piece tommorrow, if it's half as good as that I'll be a happy man.
Del
(BTW if you havn't seen my website yet, there are a few Yew bows on there and I also run my Bowyers Diary which showed me building several Yew English Longbows (ELBs) at the start of this year. Google delsbows to find the site)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:46 am »
My advice to a new guy is to cut more wood than you can make bow from for the next five years at least.  I started two years ago and the wood that when I started is just now making OK bows.  I am preparing wood for the next 8 years of bow making.  I would put the best wood aside and work the OK wood first.  I have made 4 bows per year.  I don't know about other bow makers but that is my advice as a new guy myself. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:56 am »
NIce! I'm starting to feel the call of the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:55:16 am »
That big one there, im sorry to inform you ,is no good...it should  be sent to me for proper disposal  >:D good luck and welcome
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:41 am »
George, it is getting near bow building season, isn't it?  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Bow building season NEVER ends. Welcome to some good times that lay ahead in your future.

IMHO it takes yew a good while to properly season and be ready for use,a lot longer than two or three months,more like two to threes years+ even if cut into staves now. Maybe a year if done right for speed drying. I wood reduce the vine maple down to near bow dimension and strap it down to a board to quick dry it and if done correctly you could be working on it in a couple months. And remember to seal the wood. So start and learn on the vine maple first...please. ;)

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:37 am »
Glad you made it here jcat. Like Fish said it would not be worthwhile to mess with
dead wood but you can come up with something to work with while that pretty
yew cures. Don't get me wrong, that yew is a fine first step ;D

If you were to purchase a suitable board you could set up your work area and tools
and even build yourself a serviceable bow or two. Would much rather mess up a 6$
board than nice wood and it ain't as much pressure.

Lane

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:40 am »
Yew came to the right place. Welcome to our sport and enjoy the process!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26:27 pm »
jcat,

Welcome amigo.. Happy to have you aboard.  That looks like a nice haul. 

If you don't already have a Primitive Archer Magazine subscription allow me to invite you to get one asap ;)  It's an excellent read cover to cover and by getting a subscription you help support this awesome forum and you will be able to enter your bows in the BOM contest. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
Good suggestion Cippy! The PA mag is numeral uno. I get all antsy every time I know a new one is coming. Its cheap entertainment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.