Author Topic: New guy. Just getting started  (Read 9665 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: New guy. Just getting started
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
Welcome to PA and yes, great haul of wood.  So great, I'd consider letting it take it's time to cure out.  Like other's said, there are plenty of ways to learn the process and get a fine shooting bow while letting "the good stuff" cure.
1’—>1’

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »
Don't worry, I have no intentions of messing up the yew without first making mistakes with viney.  Fortunately, I spend way too much time in the woods and I know that it won't be hard for me to get decent yew to make bows out of in the future, though.   I was hoping to go get another big one today but my wife isn't feeling well and I had to go track a buck for a friend. 

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
Goin up to get the good one. ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »
I have an uncle out in the Marysville, WA area that cuts a bit of vine maple and yew for bowmaking.  He told me once that you should never cut bow wood downhill from your vehicle.  All the best bow wood is uphill from the truck. 

Immediately I said, "Ohhh, higherl elevation, right!  I get it!!" 

He responded, "No.  Only an idiot drags wood UP a hill."

Thanks Uncle Myron for the best advice I've ever heard!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:27 pm »
Your uncle is a SMART man.  I don't think I'm quite man enough to move those bigger pieces uphill. lol  I did get out and grab a few vineys today as well as that one nice piece I was after.  I also cut a dead standing because I believe there is a stave or two in there from the looks of it.  If not, I have a woodstove and nothing ventured, nothing gained.   Here's todays haul. 
My viney

got these two

the other side of the dead one

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »
Don't get too swelled a head, jcathunter....most of us are suckin' up to yew, I mean YOU because you got yew in yer backyard!   >:D

Nice haul. I've seen some wonderful bows come from vine maple. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:45:33 pm »
Sucking up is right.  I'm hoping for an osage/yew trade in not too long. 8)  I suspect there's a too-straight-for-JW stave out there somewhere. :D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:56:47 pm »
Don't worry, I'm not a stingy person. :)  Someone asked about the growth rings and elevation.  I cut them all at 2500ft and one big one at 3000ft.   I have an altimiter in my truck.  ;)  The dead one has wide growth rings but its pretty straight  and I'm hoping I can mess with it early.  The others have decent rings but I'd guess they are around 30 per inch?????  I'm hoping to try and split a few this weekend and start getting some staves layed out. If anyone is around here and would like to help, let me know.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:10 am »
Don't worry, I'm not a stingy person. :) 
so what would it take for you to part with some yew :-\
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 12:47:58 am »
Your making a lot of folks here drooling green envy with all that yew:laugh:.....not me though.  :P

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 12:51:59 am »
Your making a lot of folks here drooling green envy with all that yew:laugh:.....not me though.  :P
oh, come on you know that's not true ;)

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 12:58:28 am »
Don't worry, I'm not a stingy person. :) 
so what would it take for you to part with some yew :-\
Once I get some staves cut out and laid up to dry, I'll have a better idea of what I have and I'll post about any extras.  I hate to count my chickens before they hatch but I'm pretty sure I have enough to share. ;)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 12:59:31 am »
make sure you have enough for your self first and foremost

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:06 pm »
make sure you have enough for your self first and foremost

And me, don't forget me!  I know I never do!

I know you need a license/permit to cut the yew, but is there any fee for cutting vine maple?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 11:25:10 pm »
Hey jcat thats a great haul! This is josh we talked on the phone :D That dead stuff is just fine for working on while the good stuff is seasoning as I told you before, if its solid it very well should make a bow if there arent any hidden weak spots. There are risks but I have seen more than one dead standing tree made into bows and have done it my self with good results.

That Vine maple once reduced can be easily ready to make a bow within a month or a little more, thats some nice vine maple too.

Also check this build out that Gordon did its a very great build allong and if your planning on doing a build allong on ifish it will give you an idea on what a great one should look like.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

With you just starting out its a great idea to post as you go like we talked about because you will get great advice from all of the pros on here.

Fishfinder were gonna have to change your name to needy! If there is anyone here thats going to ask for a free yew stave its gonna be you. Besides you still need to finish your Yew war bow we have all been waiting to see some progress on >:D >:D ;)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:01:20 am by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)