Author Topic: New guy. Just getting started  (Read 9666 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: New guy. Just getting started
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 11:32:33 pm »
i would never ask for free yew , that's just wrong, and now that i am forging i actually am going to have stuff to trade ;D, as far as the warbow, after my college applications and Christmas exchange stuff are done you will be seeing ALLOT of progress, its been hard not working on it, but i have other priorities right now
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 11:34:59 pm »
i would never ask for free yew , that's just wrong, and now that i am forging i actually am going to have stuff to trade ;D, as far as the warbow, after my college applications and Christmas exchange stuff are done you will be seeing ALLOT of progress, its been hard not working on it, but i have other priorities right now

Just giving you crap as usual ;) ;D >:D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 11:36:00 pm »

Just giving you crap as usual ;) ;D >:D
i'd be insulted if you didn't ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 12:02:40 am »
 ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:32 am »
make sure you have enough for your self first and foremost

And me, don't forget me!  I know I never do!

I know you need a license/permit to cut the yew, but is there any fee for cutting vine maple?
My permit was for Yew, Cherry, and Viney and I paid $20 for 20 pieces, total.  I think I have about ten so far but that will probibly be enough for now. 

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 02:01:59 am »
forgot to add gordons build allong here it is http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4815.0.html

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 05:13:29 am »
Welcome Jcat!

Sooo, That's what Yew look like in the wild...

Have Fun and make a bunch of Shavin's!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »
I got some work done today but still have to tackle the big ones.  I think there is probibly a stave or two worth working on in the dry stuff but it has pretty wide growth rings.  Still nice, though.  Here's some pics

My next goal will be to acquire some tools and jigs for working with the staves.  If anyone has any extra draw knives, spoke shaves, tillering jigs, etc and needs some yew, let me know.  I can build the jigs and what not but wouldn't turn down something ready to go. 

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:29 pm »
Looking good! make sure you get that green yew sealed up with some glue or I believe allot of guys use clear sealers for sealing the ends. I use elmers glue as it is cheap for the big jug and works well for me and easy to remove when im ready to work the stave. You could also peel the bark now as it should be easier while green and seal the back as well.

Josh

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
I have been sealing ends with latex paint.  Its what I found in the mess of a garage. :D  I also want to know if people save the shorter staves very often?  I've got several pieces that would be around 3-5 ft long and look darn nice but I'm not wanting to tackle splicing one together since I have full length pieces. 

Offline Gus

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »
Yes Sir...

Save the Short pieces for Short Bows or Billets!
Or kids bows...

Nothing wrong with that haul ET ALL!!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 07:59:08 pm »
Yes Sir...

Save the Short pieces for Short Bows or Billets!
Or kids bows...

Nothing wrong with that haul ET ALL!!

-gus How small is too small?  Width, thickness, and length?  I'll gladly save a bunch of these because I know I can make a lot of short ones around 3-4 ft.   I'm also cutting my staves pretty big, I think so that I have plenty to work with.  Probibly 3-5 inches across the bark side and the whole triangle is about that big.  I also chopped the heart out of some since it wanted to come out anyway which left the stave about 3 inches from back to belly.

Offline Gus

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 08:15:56 pm »
Billets can be pretty short.
I would keep 30 to 40 inch pieces of pretty wood for billets.
Short Bow and Kids Bow length from about 39 to 50 inches.
Pretty much the sky is the limit.
The folks on this site and others have built some Amazing short bows.
And Bows from Billets can be just as good as bows from uncut staves.
You can also do interesting layouts with billets that are difficult to do with straight full length staves.

If you haven't picked up a copy yet I would recommend the Traditional Bowyer's Bible set.
Four volumes, they can be had individually or all together.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
Great pictures!  Don't see many posts of vine maple staves either.  Very cool.
1’—>1’

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 01:52:36 am »
Boy the pile keeps getting better, congratulations  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...