Author Topic: New guy. Just getting started  (Read 9661 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: New guy. Just getting started
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:58 am »
As others have said save the small stuff too if you dont end up wanting it ill drive to your place and trade you seasoned staves for them :D

Also I use latex paint to seal some of my wood too it works just fine too and if its laying around why not? You may need to do a couple or 3 coats
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline jcathunter

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 02:16:36 am »
As others have said save the small stuff too if you dont end up wanting it ill drive to your place and trade you seasoned staves for them :D

Also I use latex paint to seal some of my wood too it works just fine too and if its laying around why not? You may need to do a couple or 3 coats
I'll save you some of the short and/or long stuff. ;)  I don't have to make mulitple coats of paint because I just dipped the ends in the can. ;D  I figured that'd definately seal it. hahahaha
I stared messing with a small sliver tonight just to get the "feel" of the yew.  In truth, it may, very well make a bow for my daughter or wife to shoot.  I HAVE to get a draw knife soon though.  My little cheese grater plane thing makes it a LOT of work to think the stave down. lol

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:50 am »
Draw knifes are nice for some stuff like taking off lots of wood but I preffer a fariers rasp and the nickolson 49 and 50 they work very well for me for beggining into further tillering but when I get close I like to scrape with a pocket knife so I dont take to much off at once. Other guys use other tools but this is just what works for me.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)