Author Topic: Ocean Spray sapling build allong  (Read 38286 times)

Offline aaron

Re: Ocean Spray sapling build allong
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:13 pm »
nice build-along josh, I am working on an ocean spray sapling too... love the stuff so far!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »
Thanks aaron! I look forward to seeing yours done! Cant wait for the glass buttes! less than 4 months to go ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 05:07:37 pm »
josh how much reflex are you shooting for, look's like about 4"? Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:08 pm »
bubby
I really wasnt shooting for a set amount just wanted to add some while heat treating and yes I got about 4" in this first limb and will try to match that. As you saw I havent taken the time to build a form so my reflexing isnt as controlled as it could be, I just do it by eye and it works. I did notice that the heat treat really stiffened up the limb I have done just from the feel of it.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »
josh you can just put a block under the handle clamp it and then clamp the tips down and do the whole bow at once, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »
Thanks bubby That is what I usually do but I started heat treating the bow at about 11:00pm and was finished with the one limb at around 12:15am so I was ready for bed so I just did the one limb knowing it would take another hr or so to finish the 2nd limb ;D I will clamp the other limb the same way you see in the picture so it should turn out the same or at least close enough for me ;) :DThank you for the tip though!

I want any one following this to know I value all of your thoughts and suggestions so if any one has any suggestions tips ect. please share them I will always take others info or suggestions into account and its good to have on here for guys who might be just starting out or the guys who have been doing it for a while to learn new things and maybe add there methods or ideas. Thanks!

Josh

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »
Hey guys I am sorry I havent had allot of time to work on this the last week I have been making christmas gifts for my family so that has been keeping me busy :D

I got the other limb heat treated and reflexed while I was working last night so here is how it turned out. I think it will work out just fine, now I just need to wait for this thing to rehidrate a bit before bending on it. Sorry for the dellay, I wish I could do this full time! ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »
Josh I just found this thread. Great job on the Bow build, that is coming along very nice.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 05:35:40 pm »
Thanks Keenan it will be under weight but I think it will make a good bow for my wife if it makes it :)

Josh

TurtleCreek

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:42 pm »
Great build along

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14:59 pm »
Thanks Turtle I wont be able to make any progress untill after christmas as im busy making gifts but that will give plenty of time to rehidrate :) Thanks again

Josh

TurtleCreek

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
  Makes me want to try some ocean spray, looks like some super tough stuff

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 07:58:10 pm »
Ya it is tough stuff! I just went out today and found a great spot to get it and ended up getting about twenty awsome saplings! Im pretty excited about them. Got them all sealed up and in the basement.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 03:36:04 am »
  How big around are they?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:27 am »
Most of them are around 1 1/4" but some are as big as 3 1/2 at the base ;D and they are were mostly all cut around 70" long! This spot I found them in is sallal thats up to your chest in spots or even over your head so the OS grows very clear and straight to long lengths. I have also notices that most of the best stuff I find grows very close to the beach in sandy soil on the edges of steep, brushy coastal forest land.

Another thing I have found is OS likes to be narrow limbed bows vs wide limbed kinda like Ipe if you dont narrow the limbs up you wont have much wood left by the time your at your desired draw weight unless your building a warbow. :D

Josh