Author Topic: Ocean Spray sapling build allong  (Read 38288 times)

TurtleCreek

Re: Ocean Spray sapling build allong
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:11 pm »
Looking forward to your progress

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »
Again sorry for the delay on this bow, finished up all my christmas gifts so I will be back at it after christmas or maybe sooner hopefully.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »
Ok so this is where the bow ended up after heat treating and and reflexing and it lost some of that reflex I think. I seem to have forgot where you measure to measure for reflex :o :-[ I forgot if it was off the back or belly?? I think its the belly so if it is I would say it has about 3.5 " of reflex before working it. Any way here it is unbraced before I started to work it back onto the string.

Once I worked it with the push pull method, (like you do when your going to string a bow) for a while I got it on a low brace height and from low brace the top limb looked a good bit stronger than the bottom and I could feel it in my hand. Sorry no pics of low brace.

Then I I worked that and got it at its full brace height, the tiller was still off a bit at this point, ya ya I know how long does it take a guy to get the tiller half way right already! :D

And from there I slowly worked it untill I could catch where my flat spots were. This was pulling 12 13 " I believe and WAY lighter than I thought it would come in but I knew that after I started tillering it before heat treating and reflexing it.

And then I went ahead and did some scraping on the flat spots and then worked it to 20" and then emediatly unbraced it to see how much set it was taking, this is what it looked like.

Not looking to bad so far as far as taking set.

Then I slowly worked it further

Then I did some more light scraping and called it good enough for a hillbilly bowyer wannabe ;D

Here is at 24 or 26 I think? :-\

and here it is after working it to 28" and its pulling just shy of 40#

Then I emediatly unstrung it to see what it looked like

After that I noticed the bark had pulled in a couple spots so I decided to scrape just the top bit off the whole bow and wrap the spots that were bare.

Me scraping the bark just the surface bark

The spots where the bark lifted ::)

After taking about twenty minutes to scrape and wrap the small sections the bow had more time to rest so I put it back up for a rested unbraced picture.

Then I looked at my watch and it was 1:30am and I was beat down tired! Time for bed! Haha Thanks for looking and if you have any suggestions comments or concerns let me know. Ill get some more progress done on this on thursday. I think it will make a great bow for the wife or a young man, we will see ;)

Again sorry for the crappy pictures but you get what you get and dont throw a fit! lol
There you happy bubby ;D :D

Josh

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:06:51 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:, i'm a happy camper Josh, it's looking good, really seem's to be holding reflex well, nice b-a-l, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 04:54:51 pm »
b-a-l ??? ???  :D

Josh

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:05 pm »
Yes Sir!!!

Excellent Thread!!!

Love your treatment of Heat Treatment! :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 08:29:49 pm »
 :D Thanks Gus its kinda a hoaky setup but it works! I was really supprised how well the Oceanspray responded to heat treating! I have been experamenting with recurving it with dry heat and you can get it warm and watch the wood just start going! but then it gets to a cirtian point and just comes appart with no weights or pressure into the bend just the weight of the bow. I am going to talk with John Strunk and see what his experiance if any is with recurving ocean spray. I was also impressed I have made about 5 of these oceanspray bows 2 being kids bows and it takes very little set!! even when you push it to its limits, it is fast becoming my favorite bow wood!! Thanks again for the reply and for looking!

Josh

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 01:27:48 am »
Yes Sir!

Great information all.
Will be looking forward to your findings.

And please keep me in mind if you get to the point where you might want to do a little trading...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline randman

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 03:44:16 am »
I've been playing with ocean spray a lot lately and I really like the stuff. Amazingly tough and dense. I've been using cutoffs of it for tip overlays it's so hard.
I have a lot of seasoning stuff and didn't have anything bow ready so I decided to try one of the standing dead dried in place branches you always find in a dense old ocean spray bush. Check splits all through it. Wanted to see what it could do so I split it up following the natural split lines and ended up with 3 wicked little shorties (1 is 24"). Haven't had a chance to take them out and shoot them in yet but I did drag home a few more of those dead ready to work staves.
It seems to respond real well to heat treating but the one thing I have not been successful at is heat bending it with dry. Doesn't seem to like to make tighter
bends too much. I have not tried steaming though, May be the ticket.
I also try to leave the bark on because it has that great dark leather look to it when you wax it. Sometimes it even looks like some sort of skin with little cracks and hair follicles. I've even left some moss and lichens on it. Great camo!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bubby

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 07:35:42 am »
Josh, b-a-l , build-a-long, just to lazy to spell it out ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:56 pm »
 I will gus!

Randman good info and I hope to see your slivers! I had never thought to use the standing dead saplings but I have passed up some nice ones! I know that some of the dead stuff will break fairly easy over your knee so I havent taken the time but I will have to try one and see for myself! I agree the bark on looks great!

Duhhhhh thanks bubby, not sure why I didnt think of that :embarassed:

Josh

TurtleCreek

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 06:11:10 am »
  This is great, lookin' forward to seeing the finished bow.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 04:03:22 pm »
Ill get some more progress on it this next week. thanks :)

Josh

TurtleCreek

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »
did you leave the handle the full diameter of the sapling?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 12:31:24 am »
Yes turtle I did

Josh