Author Topic: Ocean Spray sapling build allong  (Read 38228 times)

Offline mtman2k

Re: Ocean Spray sapling build allong
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:28 pm »
Talked to Jim Remp and he said to make sure that the wood is cut in the dead of winter and another trick, he also sands off just the very outer bark with 120 grit. Just to show the cambium underneath.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »
OK thanks for that info I will try that! Thanks! Who is Jim Remp if you dont mind asking? Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dazv

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »
Thanks Dazv She is pulling about 35 @ 28 so ya I way undershot the weight on this one and that was my fault but my wife has been wanting a new bow so ill just pretend I was shooting for a light weight bow ;)

Josh
hahaha good plan.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:02 pm »
Jim is a bowyer from Montana, Bozeman maybe?

His finish work is amazing. Best Ive seen, ever.

Offline mtman2k

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 02:38:08 pm »
He's from Missoula.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:11 am »
Just found this thread. Very neat build along. I gotta learn my trees. I bet we don't have that here in the southeast US.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PNWTreeOctopus

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 04:07:10 am »
This thread is fantastic.  Now that you finished your...uh...wife's bow what are the lessons learned?  What would you do differently next time?  Would you even build another Ocean Spray stave?  I'm hot to try one as I live in NW Washington and Ocean Spray grows well here.

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell- Ed Abbey

Greg, Puget Sound Region, Washington

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »
My lessons learned are doing a build allong takes allot of time and that I need to get my limb thickness floof tiller better from the start. I also have ruined allot of nice staves by trying to bandsaw out the thickness taper and I had started that on one of the limbs and caused part of the problem of taking to much wood off to match that limb. I sometimes get in a rush and need to catch myself and slow down. If I could do it again I would get the thickness taper good with the old trusty 49 and do allot more scrapeing rather than fileing! I really look forward to building another OS bow I have built about 6 of them so far and really like the wood and the way it performs! I recently got me about a dozen beautiful staves and I cant wait for them to dry! Thanks I need to get a finish on this bow and a grip, I also recieved some pink string from a very generious fellow on here and now I cant remember who it was as I erased my inbox!! :-[ >:( If that kind person is reading this please send me a pm :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:42 pm »
I didn't read all the replys, just looked @ the pics and read your posts.  @ first I thought it was a Hamm's add  :( then I noticed that quart of PBR w/ it's back turned there and I new we were good again.  ;D  Nice build along and bow too!! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:13 am »
PBR is my friend ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 12:29:59 pm »
That Bark on the back just looks cool !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline aaron

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:00 pm »
Awesome thread, Josh! I have s vary similar bow going- cut behind your house. Two questions:
1.when heat treating, i realise the stave was seasoned before this step, but did you do any "extra" drying before the heat treat? Since OS is so prone to checking while drying, i wonder if it's prone to splitting while heat-treating.
2. Can you give me thicknes measurements every 6 inches on one limb?

hey, are you going to the knap in?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:49 pm »
Thanks for the complaments :)

aaron I kept the stave in my house in my living room where the wood stove is always going but with a kettle on top so its not overly dry in here. Other than that no other precations were taken once the wood was dry. I have used dry heat on OS a few times ecperamenting with recurves and never had any checking as the wood I used was dry. I would say just watch it and if you see some checking while heat treating just stop and let it dry some more, then maybe put some super glue in the check. The thicknes measurement is basically just 5/8" 2" off the grip and then slowly tapering down to 5/16" at the tips but I would go a bit thicker if you want a heavier bow. I will say it takes heat treating very well!

Yes I hope to be at the knap in but cant say for sure yet as I may have a job by then and not sure if I will be able to get away from that. :-\

Josh

Offline aaron

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:45 pm »
did the bow finish at 68 length? It has a rigid handle, right?
Mine is a bendy handle 56 inch, and it's almost 3/4 thick at the handle- at floor tiller. It was a 1 1/2 inch dia stave, so there's no pith left in it. 
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 11:48:44 pm »
68 tip to tip 67 ntn yes ridgid handle sounds like your gonna have a sweet bow I remember that stave it was a nice one! Post pictures of it would you please!

Josh