Author Topic: A few new bows we built  (Read 17621 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: A few new bows we built
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 12:48:15 pm »
Yahoo! Got each set up for Backed and Self Bow consideration for July voting.  Very nice bowsl.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Sabanim

• The Martial Arts Center
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 04:50:08 pm »
Wow...thanks Old Bow!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 09:16:54 pm »
  Those are some fine looking bows ,guy's.Welcome aboard also,,sure ya'll havn't been hanging around all those Dutch ovens at Pappy's?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 10:01:42 pm »
Thanks Mullet.
I live in Alabama so maybe I'll run into Pappy or some of you other guys at a shoot sometime.
We go to the ASTB shoots at Tannehill State park sometimes...I bet it would be fun!
Bill

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 12:10:50 am »
Are there any other people on here from Alabama?

Bill

Offline jpitts

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 01:29:47 am »
Beautiful work on the bows Bill. I gotta try some of the IPE... I live near I20 west of Atlanta...close I guess.... ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Rich Saffold

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:47 am »
Those are some nice bows and good chrono numbers for being experienced at this stuff, for being new at it like mentioned is rather impressive!
Great thread, I too am kinda fond of those woods ;)

Rich

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 03:27:39 am »
Hey Frank

The Bamboo backed Ipe  bow is 1-1/4" wide at the handle and tapers down to 3/8" tips in about the last 12" of the limb. The handle
is a combination of Ipe (core) and Tiger Striped Maple and Black Walnut and it has a 1/2" wide arrow shelf cut into the pistol style grip.

I use a reflex deflex glue up form like the Rudder Bows website shows. That's where I buy alot of my supplies and they've been really helpful with tips about glue up and tillering. I use West marine two part epoxy (#105 & #205) to glue up all my bows. I really like the stuff.

hey bill, thanks for the info!  -  one more question: the handle riser looks straight, or is that with a deflex allready??
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 08:40:18 am »
Hey Frank

The Handle is straight. I leave it (handle area) about 1" thick and cut (taper) the rest of the core down to around 3/8" thick. Then I glue the core and bamboo together and clamp it into the form. The core is pretty weak (maybe 10 or 15 pounds) until you glue the bamboo on. Once it's all dried it's MUCH stiffer...probably 80 or 90 lbs...depending on how good a job I did thinning down the bamboo ;D

Once the glue is all dried, I take some thinner strips of wood and built up the handle area to shape it. I tried the method of reflex / deflexing the limbs and then glueing on a curved handle riser but I could never get the two curves to match up very well. Guess I'm just not that good at it or something.

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 08:43:31 am »
Beautiful work on the bows Bill. I gotta try some of the IPE... I live near I20 west of Atlanta...close I guess.... ;D

Thanks
I've only used the IPE a couple times but I really like it. It's amazing stuff!!
Bill

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 08:56:26 am »
Those are some nice bows and good chrono numbers for being experienced at this stuff, for being new at it like mentioned is rather impressive!
Great thread, I too am kinda fond of those woods ;)
Rich

Thanks Rich
I've been a lurker on here for a long time and everbody's help and tips on here has been a gold mine of information. I've learned SO much from this site and it's helped me make ALOT better bows. My first attempts were..let's say...less than steller performances :-\

I know I still have alot to learn though  ;D

Thanks again
Bill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:17 am »
Those are some fine looking weapons. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
Those are some fine looking weapons. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Thanks Hillbilly
I'm working on a couple more bows so I'll post some pictures when I get one of them done
Bill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 12:38:37 pm »
Don't look like you got far to go at all.Nice looking job.I make it to TanneHill once a year to the
Howard Hill shoot,Maybe see you there,or you could make it up to the Tn. Classic next year,a bunch of the Pa guys are there and we would love to have you, you can help some beginners
along[.Pass it on] :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 02:22:44 pm »
Some really nice looking bows you guys made! I especially like the knotty osage bow. ;)

Would like to see you guys make the Tn. Classic next May, I think you would like it! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...