Author Topic: A few new bows we built  (Read 17636 times)

Offline Sabanim

• The Martial Arts Center
Re: A few new bows we built
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 02:32:53 pm »
Hey Pappy and GregB
Just let me know the dates and if I can make it I would love to come.
I have about 20 people down here shooting and making bows so some of them might want to come also ;D
Looks like it would be a blast!
Bill

PS...here's my contact info if there's some kind of list to get on that you invite/remind people about the classic.
www.montgomerymartialarts.com
wgpkuksool@knology.net

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 04:35:59 pm »
Very nice bows, Bill. That IPE bow has the right design for speed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 11:55:15 pm »
Thanks Mark!

I guess we got lucky with that one ;D  I think if we shot some lighter spined arrows off it, it might break 200fps. I've tuned it every way I know of and the 189fps was the fastest speed we could duplicate. We got it to repeat the same speed three arrows in a row though so maybe that's all it's got?

I know building these bows isn't really about speed but it's nice to make a bow that even the "compound guys" have to repsect ;)

Bill

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »
Thought I would add a couple pictures of the finished knotty Osage long bow here.
Hope that's ok?
Thanks
Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jbell

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 11:07:46 pm »
Nice knotty nightmare, looks good. Got any specs on that one.
Justin Blunt

tradrick

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 02:41:36 am »
Hey Bill,great looking bows.What part of AL.do you live.I live in Ashville and I go to all the ASTB's shoots.Just got back this evening from the state shoot.Did you make it to this one.I can also vouch for Pappy's Tenn.Classic.His shoots the one that got me bit by the bow building bug.Great shoot great folks.tradrick

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:12 am »
Nice knotty nightmare, looks good. Got any specs on that one.

Hi Jbell...here ya go...these specs where posted on page one of this thread so I just moved them here...should have done that anyway.. ::)

Here is the Osage self bow in the first picture. It's still unfinshed here but pretty close to done.
It's 70" NTN and 45# @ 28", and it's 1-1/8" inch wide and tapers to 3/8" tips. You can see the tips are naturally slightly recurved if you look close.  It has a little bit of character to it and ALOT of knots. It's a pretty smooth shooter for a D bow. I haven't shot it through the chrono yet so I'm not sure of the arrow speed but I think it will definitly be good enough to hunt with.

Offline Sabanim

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 09:46:41 am »
Hey Bill,great looking bows.What part of AL.do you live.I live in Ashville and I go to all the ASTB's shoots.Just got back this evening from the state shoot.Did you make it to this one.I can also vouch for Pappy's Tenn.Classic.His shoots the one that got me bit by the bow building bug.Great shoot great folks.tradrick

Hi tradrick...I'm in Montgomery. If your ever this way look us up ;D
I didn't make it to the state shoot this year but I usually make it to the shoot that ASTB has in April.
I'm going to try to make it to Pappy's Tenn. Classic when they have it next time. I've been wanting to find some more
shoots to go to and that sounds like a good one!
Bill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 10:08:05 am »
Outstanding bows. Nice job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!