Author Topic: Lil Split-along  (Read 14668 times)

Offline Timo

Re: Lil Split-along
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 03:41:18 pm »
yazoo, I admire you for the amount of wood that you cut.Those who don't have the priviledges that some of us share,don't really know just how much work goes into bringing it from tree to stave,especially large amounts.

I think DCM summed it up when he said,"It's a labor of love"? :)

Roger

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 09:44:48 pm »
Your my hero dude!

Most folks dont know that the REAL work starts when the wood hits the ground.

R.

radius

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »
Timo,

In your opinion, is there much difference between the red and the yellow osage?  I've only used the darker stuff, and made some pretty good bows from it. 

radius

Offline woodstick

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »
i see bows bows bows  man that looks nice all them bows leaning up on the wall.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:40 am »
Radius. The red is of course much denser and most usually has tighter rings, I think bows made for it takes less set.

As for performance?

The jury is out on that one. Design plays  the part there. ;)

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:53 am »
Denny @jerbowdens here, want to sell a couple of them? They aren't too many in my neck of the woods. by the way. I have had good luck doing the kerf job on some logs myself and it works well, just have to watch for frets when your tilling..That is along the edges . As long as the stave is wide enough it won't matter.Usually...Thanks again Denny

radius

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:49 pm »
thanks Timo...glad i got the good stuff!  I remember somebody saying, "Oh you got the red osage," and i didn't even know there was a difference!

I thought i'd throw in my two bits here.  I've hand split some yew logs lately, and i've found you don't need much yew to make a good bow.  So i've tried to re-split a few of them with varying degrees of success. 

Yesterday i ran about a foot into each end of a stave with my hobby bandsaw, and then split the wood very easily with wooden wedges.

For what it's worth...worked great! 

Tried it again today on some yew which is still green...little pukey bandsaw won't play nice...have to air it out awhile longer...