Author Topic: SLO-MO multiple bows build along  (Read 45575 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: SLO-MO multiple bows build along
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09:47 am »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 08:10:42 am »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:52 am »
Elm & Osage

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 08:12:52 am »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 08:15:35 am »
Found the bamboo stave eaten by termites >:(

and found this slightly snakey Guava stave that I forgot about, and should be cured enought to be in the mix

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:41 am »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 08:32:22 am »
Boy I like that last one Manny as I said before looks like you got your work cut out for
yourself.I been working on a 3 snake bow projest for several month's and it don't seem like I will ever get done so I know where you are at.Seem like it is always something with that kind of
stave,get one thing working good and something else pops up.Guess that is why I like them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 07:39:16 pm »
Gee, Manny that last one looks like my "Hula Girl", (especially in the handle) - only worse (or better, depending on how you look at it -  :D)
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 09:30:49 pm »
Manny, On the Eucalyptus, a backing is a good idea. Unless the fibers in the wood are real long, and usually the opposite is true I'd use a thin bamboo most likely. I have made two  selfbows, one in Hawaii which followed a ring, and they shot like demons, but  both exploded with no warning.

Bet the "surfer girls" like your new pad! ;)

Rich-part hawaiian ;D

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 06:13:28 am »
Rich, I'm planning to back the Eu with silk, watcha think ?

Pappy, Bernie, I wander if that peace will even make a bow, it looks worse in person :o ;D :o ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 06:53:04 am »
Manny I think that you and Pappy are gluttons for self punishment ;D

Actually I'm in awe of some of the snakes you guys tiller.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Rich Saffold

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 08:37:59 pm »
Manny, It's a good idea, but if it blows go to bamboo on the second one.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 05:26:42 pm »
Finally done with all those staves, I can get back to work on bows :)

Unfortunatly this morning I was going to flip the tips for those 2 sinew backings when my gun bit the dust,...well I need to buy a vice to ;D

Good thing I got this other little project going, I'm making a spear, ...planning to eventually get a pig with it, but it will be mainly the weapon I'll carry when guiding hunters ;)

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 06:20:38 pm »
Manny, you aiming for a Victorian style longbow or an English warbow style. If warbow reduce that handle a bit and make sure it only starts bending in the handle for the last 3 inches of the bow. Bow will taper on the belly from handle to the tips where the tip width and depth will be almost 1:1.  Also, there is a trick to rounding out the belly I like to use.  True up the belly and sides of the bow. Then, mark every 4 inches allong each limb and figure out then draw measure the width of the bow at each point allong the limb and then find mark this at each point for the depthe on each side. Now, connect the dots. Reduce then take off the wood from the belly and true it up and make it flat on the belly. Now find the center line at each four inch increment on the belly and mark it. Connect the dots again. Here is the fun part! Round off the corners making sure not to take down the center line fo the bow. Keep the reduction even olong both sides of the bow and continue to check the floor tiller. You will have an even crown down the center of the bow this way.

Now if the tiller is off at some point after this. Reduce the crown top a bit, redraw the line and true up the crown again. This will get the large reduction done for floor tillering quiclkly while maintaining the "D" profile. When rough tillering is done only fine tiller on the tillering tree reduce bow from the sides evenly.

I'm probably preaching to the choir but just thought I would give you a heads up on how I do it!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Gordon

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 10:32:17 pm »
Keep 'em coming Manny. It is fasinating to see how different bowyers approach a stave.
Gordon