Author Topic: south paw  (Read 1413 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
south paw
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:34:38 am »
Hay all, I have to make a couple bows for lefty's, I can hardly shoot consistently right handed so how do I insure that I gift one that is made properly with out months of practice and no south paw trad. shooters to shoot them first???  Im prob.worried about nothing but I would love to hear about anyone else who has had this problem. Thanks
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

Re: south paw
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:43:10 am »
I tape a temporary rest on the other side of the handle and shoot the bow right handed or just shoot off my knuckle.  It isn't exactly the same, but it does let me shoot the bow and make sure all is OK.  On my bows, most of the break-in actually occurs with the tillering pulley setup.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:57 am »
I have made two leftys. I do as George does. 90% of my break in happens on my tree. The rest I just do my best lefty. I can draw and anchor lefty, but cant shoot very straight. Accuracy is up to the new owner anyway, not me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:55:18 am »
I have made a few leftys and don't shoot lefty. I try to get the bow set up for lefty but shoot it in right handed. I'm sure to tell the recipient to start off slow so the bow can learn to shoot lefty for the lefty. So far I haven't heard back from any of the lefty recipients.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:31:51 am »
Most of the bows I've made have been wrong-handed for me, since I'm a lefty.  I've always done similar to George, or sometimes I'll just put some painters tape on the other side to avoid scratching the finish and then shoot off my fist.  I didn't realize the bow itself would have to "learn" anything different between being shot left or right handed??  It would seem to me that the string is still being pulled back on the same plane either way.  The only thing different I can see is that on one side it might be closer to center-shot than the other (if you cut a shelf into your bows), but you can just adjust your aim accordingly when shooting it in.

These are just my thoughts, I'd be happy to hear any opinions to the contrary.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »
Thanks guys, I guess im over thinking the process.just don't want to let anybody down, or turn them off to primitive because of me :-\
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »
I agree with what you said Cam but not knowing for sure I still like it if the recipient educated the bow to shoot from the opposite side and to accommodate their style of shooting. Kind of like shooting a bow that hasn't been shot for a while. I like to take it slow with lots of exercise before hitting full draw.
  As you can see soy different folks have different thoughts and solutions. It is always a good idea to ask just in case.  ;)  If nothing else it gets the mental juices, ideas and conversations flowing.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC