Author Topic: hickory/stone  (Read 16272 times)

jamie

hickory/stone
« on: July 22, 2007, 04:10:34 pm »
bout a month ago or more i found a downed hickory that was ripped from the ground by wind shear. it had a long splinter that ran very straight so i grabbed a rock and tore the piece off. here it is . 61" ntn, 50 lb@26, 1 3/8th wide to around 3/4 nocks. natural deflex in handle so i heated it over a fire and put a little reflex in the outer limb of which most i lost but it holds the tips about a 1/2" behind the front of the grip. . used some texas flint as scrapers and made a sinew string. this ones goin huntin. peace

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: hickory/stone
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 04:25:27 pm »
I like a lot the full draw look ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 09:12:45 pm »
    I like the tiller too,good looking bow Jamie. Now work on the tan ;).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:17:51 pm »
thanks guys. ed the funny thing is i havent worn a shirt in 3 months. must be the scottish blood.lol

heres a couple mor pics

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:27 am »
                    Luvs  'em when ya chops 'em and scrapes 'em and shoots 'em ! ;D.........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:09:45 am »
Cool bow Jamie. Tiller looks great.  Do you think it took the power of the wind that brought down the tree?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:21:52 am »
Thems,the kind i like ta see.Is that a side nock,and a pin nock i see?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 06:34:20 am »
Very cool jamie,you the man.Nice tiller. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:45:56 am »
Super primitive bow jamie, tiller looks perfect and with the power of the wind how can miss ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:01:20 am »
did some shootin with it last night goin through a slew of different arras. definetly prefers heavy but that may be me. i have 2 couch coushions i shoot my stone ponts through. because they are soft i usually penetrate the first and poke the second. this one poke through both with a 615gr obsidian arra. its goin huntin. when the walnuts fall im gonna darken here up a bit.
thanks again folks.

yeah traxx i have one side nock because i got lazy. ;D. i kinda like em too never had a string slip on one.

by the way the kids have been scrapin away on their bows and should be finished up soon. i thought they were gonna have a hard time doin it with stones but they are doin great. they have even shown me a thing or two ive never thought of doin. when they were scrapin the bark off i saw my son spittin on the bow. i asked him what he was doin and he just looked up and said it comes off easier when its wet. i had a grin from ear to ear.  ;D

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 01:27:38 pm »
Makes me feel good to look at a real primitive bow.  Nice job on the tiller. Nice job on the splinter, too. Would have been a shame if it wound up as a hotdog stick.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 01:36:43 pm »
Nice bow Jamie, cool story about spittin on the wood, good moral in that story and true ta boot. Steve

jamie

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 04:52:14 pm »
steve i just weighed it and its roughly 15oz. aside from the heavy tips how is it possible to get the weight down on a bow like this to conform to your mass formula. on the other hand i have a piece of boo backed maple. very thin boo around .100 on a 1/2" maple slat 1 1/4" wide with a fast taper to 1/2" nocks that isnt even at brace and weighs 13 oz its also 60" long with 2" of reflex.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 03:04:44 am »

dang...wish we had hickory trees laying around like that over here in germany...

nice primitive bow, great tiller!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:37 am »
Jamie, great bow. I don't doubt you are going to harvest some meat with her.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts