Author Topic: Took a Big Pheasant  (Read 9464 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Took a Big Pheasant
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 06:59:58 pm »
They make a beautiful mount.  After shooting gobs and gobs of them growing up I realized I'd never kept any of the beauties that had such long tails to mount.  Several years later when we were in Illinois I had a tough year deer hunting but was seeing tons of pheasants.  In disgust one day I traded the bow for the 12 gauge and shot 2 roosters that each had 24" tails.  The other one was much older, but I shot him up too bad.  This one is not that old, but one of the longest tails I've killed as an adult.

JW, that recipe sounds great!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 07:54:28 pm »
Very vey nice first kill. Great job. Wish we had more of them around here.
I think they are very tasty.

N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

youngbowyer

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:41 pm »
I will mount the wings. The tailfeathers are too messed up already I will keep some of them though. Thanks for the tip J.W

Offline Postman

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
Way to go! Congrats on a fine bow kill.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline johnston

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:33:57 am »
Congratulations Tom, very cool.
Something tells me this ain't gonna be the last time your mom "freaks".

Particularly please that you used your bow.Nothing at all wrong with
a gun, just saying...

Lane

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 01:54:00 pm »
Nice shooting!  I went out with some guys last Friday and chased them with the bows, too.  They were all shooting FG, but I had my self bow, cane arrows, and stone points.  I never connected, but did graze one and had a couple of near misses.  We also set out some quail, those suckers are tough to hit.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

youngbowyer

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:32 pm »
Congratulations Tom, very cool.
Something tells me this ain't gonna be the last time your mom "freaks".

Particularly please that you used your bow.Nothing at all wrong with
a gun, just saying...

Lane
You were right that that wouldn't be the last time my mom freaked. I got a rabbit today while I was walking home from the stand. Sorry, no pictures. It was dark by the time I got home and I had to field dress it and finish my homework. Gonna have a tasty meal this weekend

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:34 pm »
Yes you are.  Good shooting.  Rabbit is like chicken in that it has tasted good every single way I've had it.  The deer are in trouble if they get in front of you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:00 pm »
im curious, what would happen if i went after something of the size of a pheasant or rabbit with a warbow  >:D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 12:01:00 am »
Congratulations! always wanted to kill a pheasant that wasn't released from a pen or a Tower Shoot. Tom you remind me of myself and probably the same with some of the older pharts on this site. I'd wander the woods when I was 14 or so with my 25# bow and shoot rabbits, squirrels, quail on the ground and always cleaned and ate them all. You're growing up good, my friend.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 01:13:13 am »
im curious, what would happen if i went after something of the size of a pheasant or rabbit with a warbow  >:D

You'd shoot a hole through them with your arrow... 8)
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 01:19:30 am »
darn, i was hoping for something closer to a hamburger patty  :P
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 06:56:37 am »
Nope, bows aren't like guns.  As long as the point of the arrow you shoot is more or less a broadhead, you'll just shoot the arrow further past the pheasant.  However, in larger game your larger, heavier shaft will power through bone where my lighter  arrows might be stopped.   After all, your warbow arrows were designed to shoot through armor.  Arrows are all about penetration.  Bullets are all about expansion and shock (unless you shoot a FMJ).

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 10:08:00 pm »
Congratulations! always wanted to kill a pheasant that wasn't released from a pen or a Tower Shoot. Tom you remind me of myself and probably the same with some of the older pharts on this site. I'd wander the woods when I was 14 or so with my 25# bow and shoot rabbits, squirrels, quail on the ground and always cleaned and ate them all. You're growing up good, my friend.
The outdoor life is a good one! I have no desire for anything else but to be in the wood with my bow, rife, or fishing rod. Planning to make a permanent camp in the woods so I can hunt all day long on the weekends!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 05:01:00 pm »
Pretty Amazing, Young Bowyer.  I grew up in good pheasant country and they rarely sit still very long.  Never even got a shot at one on the ground.  Shot at a few in the air, but no hits. Quite an accomplishment 
Moms seem to freak out less over the years-by necessity.