Author Topic: flax backing  (Read 2305 times)

UserNameTaken

flax backing
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
Hey, does anybody know about how much flax fiber is needed to back a bow? It's being sold by the ounce, but I don't know what an ounce of flax looks like. 

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: flax backing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »
 I ordered 4 ounces cause I had no idea either. I backed one bow, not sure how much of that 4 ounces I used, but it wasn't very much. Four ounces got me a gallon size ziplock baggie almost full. One ounce should be plenty for one bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

UserNameTaken

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »
Thanks dave, I appreciate it.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »
  Hey  Tatt,   what  do  you  think  of  flax??????? I   know  it's  not  sinew,,,but  is  there  any  performance  gain  at  all?????? it  has  to  lookcool  though?  I  really  want  to  try  that  stuff  sometime  .  I  hope  others  chine in  thanks  JEFFW

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:48 am »
I liked the flax, but didn't seem to change anything in terms of performance. It adds strength to the back, that's for sure!!! I put it on a bow that I reworked after I heard a crack. Haven't had any issues with that bow since. It is a pretty light weight bow though. It did look cool :), but that depends on who's lookin at it. I showed it to some wheelie friends, and they were less than impressed, but I don't like their wheels either. I found a place that has bamboo fibers, gonna try those next.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

UserNameTaken

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »
Tim baker, in Vol. 4 of the TBB, talks about flax as a backing, and he claims that a bow that's backed with flax will be lower in mass than an all wood bow. If that's the case, there should be some benefit as far as performance. He also claims that on a long straight bow, it is superior to sinew--because sinew is heavier than wood.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »
   Bamboo  fiber?????  now  that  has  to  add   some  zip,,don't  you  think??  you  have  to  keep  us  up  to  speed on  that  one  buddy!  thanks  JEFFW