Author Topic: arrow heads?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline blackpanem

arrow heads?
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »
I'm just beginning bow making and i've been trying to make arrow heads from flint. its not working well.. i have tons of flint and i can break off pieces that would be good to start with but i cant shape them. usually the pieces i break off are too thick to be a decent arrow head and i cant figure out how to make them thinner, and i cant really do much with them. any suggestions? i have of tools to do this but i cant seem to get it. i am also only 13 so money is a major aspect. any input would be apreciated! :)

Offline Tower

Re: arrow heads?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
Not all flint knaps easily. Many types & grades need to be heat treated. This can be done at very little cost if done the old fashioned way. That is with a pit & fire. Also practice , the more you try the better you will be. Do a web search on heat treating methods & find a knapper in your area. Knappins are one of the best ways to get help. Treating is not as difficult as it sounds & the results can be amazing.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:48:19 pm »
go to youtube, watch allergichobbit and paleomanjim, you will git a ton of info to get you started that way, and come on here and ask ?, also you can make some bottle bottom points to start with and get some good practice in and get useable points, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »
thank you very much  but i have one more question, why do i have to use copper tools? is there  a difference?

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »
You can knap Abo style, that is stone , bone, & antler tools. There is lots of tool maintenance this style. If you are not against modern tools you can use copper. Other metals are too hard to create a good flake. Aluminum can be used , but its a little lite in weight. Copper has the weight & is soft enough to bite into the stone building more energy before the flake detaches. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:02:45 pm »
ok thanks