Author Topic: arrow head thickness?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline blackpanem

arrow head thickness?
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »
im relatively new to flintknapping and i was wondering how to make my pieces thinner? i can flake off small pieces and make arrowheads with them but i cant make anything bigger than a quarter because then they are too thick. so far the only tools o have are a 3lb copper block and a deer horn as a pressure flaker. is it the tools im using? what can i do? any input would be appreciated!

Offline blackpanem

Re: arrow head thickness?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »
i should also add that the copper block is  rectangular

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:20 pm »
My buddy Justin Eldridge uses a copper bus bar. Sounds like the same thing you have to use.
He is one of the best knappers i know and dose very well with it.
 If i were you id try to make it to a knap-in or look up a local knapper in your area to get some 1on1 help.
if that dose not work out then check out the youtube vids.
 Might be worth it to ya to look at www.flintknappingtools.com  Mark has some nice kits for sell there with most of what ya need to get started.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »
 The best advice I can give ya right now is show us what your making. Then we can give ya some help. We gotta see where you need help. Hope that didn't sound rude. I'm trying to get a better idea of how to help.

Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:37:19 pm »
@ the top of this page is a thread about thinning started by Tower, also look for Iowabow's threads about thinning and knapping.  Let;s see some pics!!  :), dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »
Like Jesse said, good tools will give you more options and show us some pictures, we like pictures. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline warhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:22:38 am »
I started out with a 1 inch copper bopper and learned alot from videos on youtube from peleomanjim.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.