Author Topic: selling furs/ running traplines.  (Read 9878 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: selling furs/ running traplines.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 12:03:30 am »
Youngbower, I have always heard apples are good rabbit bait. Your recent events of losing a rabbit on a snare and having one eaten is why I like the box traps. Hard to lose your prize to another predator in a box. That is also why I like trapping in water and setting the drowning sets. It takes your fur under water where it is protected. With coyote numbers increasing like they are the box trap is a better way to go. Another option would be to have a trigger release that will pull your rabbit off the ground after snared.

Rabbit fur is used in tying flies for fly fishing. The under soft fur is dubbing material in tying. If the hide is clean, stretched and dry it should sale. The hide itself is not needed only the soft fur, but they usually sell together.

Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »
Beaver season came in the day after Christmas, here,s a pic of opening morning check. The big one is 58# an way to far from truck. Youngbowyer, trapping is a great journey so enjoy the ride.

youngbowyer

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
nice beavers! The only thing I caught so far is a big grey squirrel in my conibear. O well, he ate good. I'm gonna make some box sets for rabbits and once I get the hang of this trapping thing I might be some 220 conibears and go for some coons.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
That's a big ol' beaver.  He's mountable.

YB, I'm not sure what your method is going to be for 220 cons and coons, but setting that size conibare on a run will catch you more than you bargain for...house cats, dogs...be careful where you set those and how youset them, you don't want to get your hand in one.  I'm pretty sure 220s are illegal to set on dry runs here in Indiana.  Might check your local fur trapping regulations too.  Some guys use those in bucket traps too. You should really check out some old fur-fish-game mags, lots of good stuff there on furbearing animals, cheap subscrip. too, have your local library get a sub.  ;)  good luck, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:39 pm »
Something I just remembered reading once was making a box with both ends open. I believe a grove was cut back into the box on both ends which allowed the coniber springs to slide into. The conibers are set back into the box several inches. Depending on the box size and trap size it can catch muskrats up to raccoon. Neat thing is once its caught it is inside the box and plugs one end allowing a second catch on the opposite end. I think muskrats and mink were the primary target, by placing it along creek. Grass and such could be laid across the top of the box and made to look like a dark hole on both ends. Muskrat and mink can't help but check out a dark hole on a creek, with a little scent inside.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

youngbowyer

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 09:52:58 pm »
i figure i could run 220 conibears in box sets and put them in trees for some coons. First I want to get the hang of snaring and trapping small game. I can only trap on weekends though so i don't think running a real big line will be such a good idea. I think I'll stick to my conibears for now and hopefully snare some rabbits when I can see their runs once we get some snow.