Author Topic: Hello from Kentucky!!!  (Read 2986 times)

Offline MacNeil

Hello from Kentucky!!!
« on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:09 pm »
Hello, my name is Jimmy, and I am from the Louisville-Metro area of Kentucky. I have always had an interest in archery. Sadly, it hasn't been until very recently that I have dove into the sport. And now, I am looking to begin my first project of making a self bow (with a lot of hope and prayer, LOL). So, I am researching anything and everything I can (tools, materials, technique, etc.). I am looking forward to reading the numerous posts, and gain an understanding from the vast knowledge-base here on this site.

I have a question before taking on the craft . . would it be advisable to seek out a bow making course or apprentice a Master Bowyer . . or just give it a try on my own?

Thank you!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Kentucky!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:30 pm »
Welcome to our madness!  ;D    If you can find someone local that builds selfbows it will really help you to get started. If not check out George Tsoukalas' website(top of the "How To" section). He has everything you need to know from getting started to finishing and everything in between.
  If you are available for the Tenn Classic near the first of May outside Of Clarksville Tenn you should come. Lots of folks building selfbows and some of the best selfbopw builders helping out.
  In the mean time ask any questions you may have. Someone will give you the info you need...probably lots of somebodies!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:13:59 pm »
 Hello Jimmy. Welcome to PA. My wife has a sister that lives in Berea not to far from you.  And as Pat said the Tenn. Classic is an incredible event that happens the end of April. We are planning on going back down again this next year. We are in Oregon so a bit of travel but well worth it.
 This is a great place to ask and learn all that you could want to know in the bow building world.  A good place to start is reading the Bowyer Bibles.  1-4  If you just read Volume one you can get a good enough knowledge to dive in and start.  Also don't hesitate to ask any question that you have on  here. There are allot of great bowyers here that are very willing to help.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »
Welcome from Michigan, Mac!  You've come to the right place.  Looking forward to helping you along the way.  There a bunch of good books out there.  Reading some of them will give you a good base line for terminology (tiller, stave, reflex, bowyers knot, to name a few).  That way, you'll get the jargon.  All 4 volumes of "The Traditional Bowyers Bible" are excellent.  Volume I is a must have and will get you on your way.  The Bent Stick by Paul Comstock, A Bowyers Craft by Jay Massey, Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans by Jim Hamm, Rattlestick - A Selfbow Tutorial by Gary Davis (DVD) are just a few of the excellent resources. 

When seeking tips and advice once you've started with a piece of wood,  pictures, pictures, pictures.  We can better help when we can see what you see.  Good Luck!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MacNeil

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 04:09:02 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome!

MWirwicki, glad to hear a fellow Michigander on here (I'm originally from Battle Creek).  ;)

I have heard from SO many folks recommend the Bowyer's Bible . . I know what's on my list to get first, LOL!!!  ;D

Pat B, thank you. I will definitely have to put that on my calendar. Like I said in my original post, I have always had a love for archery. The sad thing is, it hasn't been until recent that I have actually moved to take a plunge into the sport. And now, after reading about it, both through magazines/books and internet sources . . I am anxious to begin my first project of making a bow (I absolutely love the English Longbow . . but then again, I am a huge history freak . . especially Medieval Europe).

Keenan, Berea is only a couple of hours from me. As far as asking questions, I'll use the search function a LOT before asking, please bear with me.   8)

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »
Welcome, Jimmy. Sawfiler, (Shannon) is down the highway from you. He makes some real pretty bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:46:50 am »
Welcome ,we are here to help. Not to far away either. Shannon is an hour or so from you and I am about 3 to 3 1/2.You can get most any info you need right here, Enjoy.  ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good