Author Topic: Stone pointed a spike in FL  (Read 13298 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Stone pointed a spike in FL
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:21:40 am »
I had the pleasure to come down to FL for the winter so my little boy could spend some time with his grandparents.  While here I hoped to take advantage of my old hunting grounds...just a little 20 acre parcel with a few deer here and there.  My old wooden stand was still where i left it, although a bit rickety and i broke a rung while climbing it.  I have been hunting for a little over a week now and 2 days ago I had this spike come down the trail and as he walked into 10 yards i let the arrow fly.  my shot was too low and i grazed him with my stone point and cane shaft. I recovered my arrow from the dirt and continued my hunt.
       So I skipped a day and returned to hunt today. Just as dark was closing in I could here leaves behind me with the un-mistakable sound that a deer makes.  The same spike (one long horn, one short) came in behind me trying to figure out where I was. He couldn't sort me out but decided to swing wide to avoid the area. Although he swung wide he still got on the same trail and walked into 10 yards.  he stopped broadside to pick up a couple acorns scattered on the edge of the old logging road. I donated another stone point to him and this time it connected. A little low again, but tight in the arm-pit. too low actually. never hit the heart, but cut the plumbing cleanly.  I watched him trot off as if he wasn't even hit, tail high in the air.
      I was dark by now and when he put his tail down I lost his last location.  I gave him 15 mins and got down to look for blood and found plenty right off the bat, I followed it with ease for 30 some yards and theN it was just pouring everywhere and another 10y in the live oakS, there he laid.
       This is my 3rd stone point killed deer this year.  2 Mule deer in Montana and this nice little spike in FL. I couldn't be happier.   it was a keokuk point i knapped with antler tools, my 66# osage bow I made and rivercane arrowshafts with turkey feathers. The point held up nicely, just the very tip broke off, could easily be resharpened but I will retire it with the horns.    thanks for lookin!-  Ryan "Twistedlimbs"
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PeteC

Re: Stone pointed a spike in FL
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:32 am »
Sound like a great hunt.Congrats. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:56:58 am »
Sounds like a great hunt Ryan that point really held up well. What an amazing looking deer you have there i bet he will eat great.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:10:57 am »
Congrats Ryan,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »
 Nice ! Thanks for the story.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:57:47 pm »
Congrats...vey nice to see!!!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:41 am »
I just found this post.  Congrat Ryan!

I got a bunch of arrow makin' stuff for Christmas, so I'm hoping to improve my arrowsmithing with some good hunting arrows next season.  A couple questions to help my on my journey:
What was the weight of your arrow?
Did you get a pass-thru, arrow on the ground?
Do you know the fps of your bow?
Thanks for the help.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:39 am »
thanks.  i dont know fps on my bow.  its pretty stout tho.  arrow is probably in the 500ish grain range.  i did not get a pass through. the arrow hit low as you can see in the pics. it was from a treestand. the arrow hit the breast bone where all the ribs come together and the point was wedged in there. actually a pretty tough spot.  the muley button buck earlier in the year was a pass through, but the muley buck was not.  U'll find you pass through's decrease when shooting stone
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Kolton

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Great Job

God Bless
          Kolton
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

Offline ash1055

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »