Author Topic: Pair of Friction Folders  (Read 2473 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Pair of Friction Folders
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »
Good day, all.  (Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it in skills and campfire. Delete as necessary!)  I recently got myself a decent little anvil and milled a stump for its base.  I also got some basic tongs and hammers and have been itching to try my hand at forging (first No. 1).  Below is the result.  I've been reading and watching quite a few resources, but was humbled when I started actually putting the hammer to the steel!  I forged a few steel fire strikers and a small test blade and then decided to jump in with both feet on these two colonial-style friction folders (first No. 2).

I'm not really pleased with the lines or proportions on these knives, but they work as they should, hardened nicely, etched okay in vinegar, and took a keen edge.  I do, however, like working with hammered pins (first No. 3).  I also like the challenge of moving parts and the way rosewood tools and finishes into a handle (first No. 4). 

Thanks for looking, all.  As always, critique welcomed :)

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pair of Friction Folders
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:11 pm »
Very nice, 4est. Not too shabby for a first timer!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:49:43 pm »
sweet folder 4est!  Looks like you've got a gift for making knives.  Great job, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:11 pm »
As usual, I am ate up with envy and jealousy!  Love those knives you make, these are new favorites!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »
Nice work 4est
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »
Yes Sir!

Some fine looking Blades!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:50:53 pm »
Very nice!  Did you use fiber washers between the blade and the scales?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, all! I truly appreciate them :) 

Jonathan: On these particular ones I did not use washers.  The originals I patterned them after did not have them.  (I tried to stay true to the originals, as I was reproducing these for two gentlemen that interpreter with me at a living history state historical park.)  Over time, the friction will obviously lessen as the blade wears down the wood.  According to my resources, however, it was common to pein the brass pins every so often to restore the friction.  I have seen a few with hammered copper and brass spacers, and plan to do that on the next one I make.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17