Author Topic: Winter Set-up For Knapping  (Read 2309 times)

Offline nlester

Winter Set-up For Knapping
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »
I've just recently got started in knapping and the winter time is when I'd have the most time to knap. I know most guys knap outside for safety purposes.  What kind of winter set up do some of you guys have so you can knap year around without freezing your beehind off?  I'd love to hear some suggestions.  Thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Winter Set-up For Knapping
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
The same set-up I use for Summer but I don't use the fan all the time. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nlester

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:22:59 pm »
LOL.....uh, I'm guessing Lakeland, FL has a little better weather than southern IN. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »
 ;) Most of the time.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »
I napped in my spear bed room last winter.
I laid down a large tarp and put a window fan in the window facing out and cut a piece of plywood to fill the gap and used a old wool blanket to fill in any other voids around the window. So if its done right there should be no drafts of air coming into the house when the fans turned on.
 When your not knapping just remove the fan plywood and blanket. It would take me less then a minute to set up or remove the systom.
 Ok now when you knap sit right next to the fan over your tarp. You can see all the dust get sucked outside. This systom resulted in less dust in my face then when i knapped outside. I know this because outside i would get a build up of dust on my glasses and i never had dust on my glasses when knapping inside next to the window fan.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline nlester

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »
I napped in my spear bed room last winter.
I laid down a large tarp and put a window fan in the window facing out and cut a piece of plywood to fill the gap and used a old wool blanket to fill in any other voids around the window. So if its done right there should be no drafts of air coming into the house when the fans turned on.
 When your not knapping just remove the fan plywood and blanket. It would take me less then a minute to set up or remove the systom.
 Ok now when you knap sit right next to the fan over your tarp. You can see all the dust get sucked outside. This systom resulted in less dust in my face then when i knapped outside. I know this because outside i would get a build up of dust on my glasses and i never had dust on my glasses when knapping inside next to the window fan.

I like that idea and I have a place in which I could do that.  Thanks for the info.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:08:36 pm »
Your a rascal Eddie.  Although, some visqueen and a spce heater might make that feasible up here.  I've ice fished in less.

nlester, where you@ in soutnern Indiana?  I'm here on the Monroe/Brown County line.  Got a Blommington address, but I'm claimed in the county. 

I'm starting to work by a kerosene heater out in the pole barn.  Good luck, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:38:32 pm »
I went out a little this afternoon, 84 dg @ 5 o'clock. We have a cold front Wednesday, 70 for a high. ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:40 am »
Same as in the summer. I sit on the edge of my truck seat w/ my door open & the heater on high. A/C in the summer & heat in the winter.  On a side note I will add work pays my gas .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »
bowtarist,
sent you a pm.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:45:24 pm »
My knapping pit is close to the fire pit and can usually stay warm enough to knap for a couple hours at a time .  Eddie, couldn't see your collard greens in the pic and you in your Bermuda shorts >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:46 am »
Tracy, second picture; one big one left and six new ones around it, behind the corn.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bushman

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 05:15:34 pm »
Outside in the open not matter the weather, whether it is blowing, snowing or very cold (I live in Canada and use to working in the cold, as in stuff down to –83 C with the wind chill.). Knappin keeps you nice and warm, I find anyways. I sit on a 5-gallon pall and some leather out back by the burn pile and just let all the flacks fall into the snow, they will get covered with sticks and what not, then next fall it will get burnt and the flakes will ether melt or brake apart so no more sharp flakes left laying around.
Bushman