Author Topic: Non-Archery harvest.  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Jimbob

Non-Archery harvest.
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:40 am »
Got home from work one morning and saw this guy and some of his friends milling around out in the hayfield so I went inside and grabbed the shotgun as I did not feel confident in my ability with my recurve yet and I havent even picked up my compound since I got the recurve.  I wanted a clean harvest so thats why I went with the 12ga. so please dont throw rocks at me. :laugh:  When I came back out of the house they were still out there so I stalked around the back of a line of cedar trees where I thought they might cross, and as soon as I got about 25 yards from the spot he stepped out.  I almost didnt get the shot off because I was shaking so bad, oh yeah, did I mention that this is my FIRST buck and second deer EVER!  Had some some backstrap the other night and it was some of the best tasting meat I have ever had.  I had someone tell me that piebalds are bad luck, anyone else heard that?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Non-Archery harvest.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
Beautiful Buck,no never heard that, ??? I would love to kill one. :) I would have it mounted if it was mine. :) :) Congrats.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:08 am »
Thanks Pappy, He is at the taxidermist, wont get him back till spring though. :(  I also have the rest of the hide that the taxidermist cut off the cape, I am going to try a hair on tan....hopefully it will come out ok.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:44:07 am »
Nice job. Love the camo.

Lane

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:50 am »
THAT,my friend is a once in a life time deer.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:03:11 am »
First time I've seen/heard of that.  Congratulations!
1’—>1’

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:35:58 am »
Very pretty deer, congratulations.
I probably would have let him go sew his wild oats. Of course I say probably because you just can't say for sure until you have the opportunity.  Thanks for sharing.
Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »
Way to go Jimbob!!  Nice buck!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
Thank you for the comments, I feel lucky to have gotten a deer at all, much less one that looks like this.

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:00:40 pm »
Congratulations! I've always wanted to get one of those, heck, I'd like to see one. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:40 pm »
Awesome!  The only piebald I've ever seen first hand was in a powerline right-of-way that I passed by at about 80 mph.  I'd love to see one with some sort of weapon in my hand.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
That is a trophy of a lifetime ;D The only thing better than me harvesting one of these would be my son harvesting one. 

Congratulations on a fine trophy ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:42 pm »
Never seen one of those.  He's awesome!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:49:23 pm »
Very cool buck.  We had a doe that hung around work that was white with a brown saddle.  They are beautiful animals.  Please tell me you are saving the hide.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 05:02:35 pm »
The bad luck is concentrated in the backstraps.  Freeze 'em, pack them in dry ice and ship them to someone in the Black Hills where they can be disposed of properly.  I'll p.m. you my address later!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.