Author Topic: I tinker too much  (Read 4893 times)

Offline jonathan creason

I tinker too much
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »
As we all know there are numerous "sub-hobbies" within this great pastime of Primitive Archery.  My main issue is that I want to try them all with only a few hours of spare time every week.  Every time I get started on something my mind wanders to another project sitting on my bench, and before you know it I'm messing with it.  Eventually I either screw one up, or they get done half-assed.  I've really gotten into knifesmithing and want to focus on it for a while, but I keep getting distracted by a bow I want to scrape on for a while, or that rock sitting there waiting to be hit.  I'm honestly thinking about getting rid of all my bow wood, rock, feathers, shaft material, and anything else that can distract me so that I can focus all my energy and attention on being an honest-to-goodness knifesmith.  Anybody else ever face this situation, and if so what did you do about it?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: I tinker too much
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »
Your CRAZY man! I build my own bows, strings, arrows and all my leather work. No way in heck would I sell all of it to be better at just one. But hey thats just my spin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »
Jonathan, it is called ADD. Probably half of the population has ADD and most are creative types. After almost 62 years I still haven't figured out how to stick to one project at a time. I decided it was easier to live with it than try to change.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »
I to suffer Pat................I have found a few beer's usually settles me in to one thing.........usually.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »
Yeah, I honestly think I've had ADD all my life.  I was never able to focus in school, but still did pretty well so I was never evaluated.  I get bored easily and my mind starts to wander.  That's part of the reason I'm thinking along these lines.  I figure if I've got less there to distract me I won't be able to let it.  I'm just kinda thinking out loud here, but it is something I've been rolling around in my head the past few months. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:22:27 pm »
Happens to me all the time.  My Dad would probably agree w/ Pat too.  :(  Anyway, that's why I've got a messy shop w/ a lot of half done projects.  I'm feeling the way you are about knifemaking w/ my knapping.  that's all I can think about.  So...if you decide to get rid of that rock...you know how to get a hold of me.  I'm a metal worker by trade, so possibly I can help you out there if need be.  Don't forget about me when you decide you need to rid yourself of that dasterdly rock that keeps looking @ you and interupting kife building.   ::) ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »
Pearlie, sometimes that works, sometimes not!  ::)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »
Lets see, I have bow staves everywhere, boxes of rocks, pieces of cow bone cut out waiting to be shaped into Maori designs, a couple of war clubs halfway finished, bundles of cane, pieces of metal destined to become trade points, and drawings of a trebuchet.  I see no problem with any of that ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »
Getting rid of stuff helps but it is not a cure.  If you're like me, you'll get distracted no matter what.

Right now I'm trying to narrow my focus and get rid of stuff that I'll never use.  My goal is three types of wood for bows, three types of wood for arrows, three types of rock for knapping, three types of leather, three fur types, three types of feathers...etc.  I've got too much variety. :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »
im exactly the same way, but i know i wont change so if you dod get rid of some of your stuff...... ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »
I may be in the same boat I got knives bows rocks trucks bikes and other stuff all unfinished I've decided that my hobbie is starting new habbies and projects. Ron :o
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 02:59:02 pm »
Pat, I was browsing through some old, old posts last night and came across your original post of that bow.  It sure is a shame it suffered a tragic accident.  It was a beauty.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »
I hold Evan Williams responsible for it, Clint!  ;D  Probably a little ADD thrown in for giggles.  ;)
  Yea, ole' Shere Khan was a sweet bow. She had over 1000 arrows through her when this happened. Rawhide backed too!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »
Maybe you should have put the rawhide on the belly >:D

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 04:52:22 pm »
I hold Evan Williams responsible for it, Clint!  ;D  Probably a little ADD thrown in for giggles.  ;)
  Yea, ole' Shere Khan was a sweet bow. She had over 1000 arrows through her when this happened. Rawhide backed too!

Ahh Pat, I knew I like you.  I have Evan Williams to blame for a lot of stuff.  :o  :P :-[ ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)