Author Topic: I tinker too much  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I tinker too much
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »
Yea, he's a nice guy but boy will he get you in trouble.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »
You and ol' Roybert from SWPA need to work together Pat! I love pics like that if nobody was hurt! 
Pearlie, sometimes that works, sometimes not!  ::)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:20 pm »
I think we all suffer from distractions of one form or another to one degre or another.. Some worse than others...... Now what was I saying?
Oh look a shiny thing!

Pat
That is too bad about that bow that was a nice one.

N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 09:39:25 pm »
jonathan i kinda have the same problem.  the way i deal with several different hobbies is to focus on one thing at a time.  like if i want a bow, then all my energy goes into making one and im not satisfied till im finished.  then i might switch to arrows or something else.  try to finish your projects one at a time, then you can pick a new one and focus on it without having several unfinished projects laying around.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »
I agree....I have way to much in progress or waiting to be worked on that I don't complete a lot.  I need to focus on one thing then move on........but I have always had a hard time with that.    Oh Jackcrafty if you want to spread the wealth when you thin things down let me know.....I never have enough stuff to work on LOL.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 10:51:03 pm »
OK folks
I'm glad to hear the rest of you have this difficulty also!
I'm known around here as a collector of hobbies !
I have cut way back (sold my blacksmithing stuff ,quit working on guns,fishing,you get the idea) it does help some but is not really the answer . Putting things out of sight helps too if you can get yourself to do it. In the end its about disciplining yourself and thats hard work
Most of us are too lazy to pull it off
I know I am
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 12:36:04 am »
Jonathan; Most of us on this site do the same as you, that's why we approved your registration. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 07:38:01 am »
I do the same thing ,just don't see it as a problem,I like messing with lots of different stuff, If I really get to needing something I can focus and get it done,Otherwise I am in no hurry on much of anything. :) I hate deadlines,get a lot of them at work,don't want any at home. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:04 am »
Haha, it's good to know I'm not alone here.  I think everything would be better if I could just get that "one bow" that's in my mind made.  I've got some really cool bows from some great bowyers on here and the only bow I want to add to the collection is a nice long, classic American flatbow.  I'd be a happy camper then.............at least until it needed some arrows.   ;D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Kpete

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
You have a serious problem!  You are being distracted by the idea of selling off a bunch of stuff.  Seek counseling and then get back to some serious tinkering. The most effective help for this "sell it off" disease is websites like this one and take two Primitive Archer Magazines and call me in the morning.
I speak from experience.  I think ADD stands for "Additional stuff".
Seriously,  I think people used to have to "tinker" with more stuff just to keep the household going.  People had to be able to do lots of different things to manufacture, fix, improve, things for themselves.  There are lots of interesting things still to be sampled!

Offline johnston

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »
jonathon there is a flip side that is just as bad and maybe worse. I get kinda compulsive about
stuff and go to extreme lengths to "accomplish" something. I don't mean finishing a bow, for instance,
but learning how to build one.

I started trying to learn in late April of this year and have built 16 bows. And gotten seven more to
the tiller board before I blew 'em up. All were variations of AFB because that is what I like. Just laid
 out another one this morning and hell, I don't even like to build bows. My whole goal is to
become a good shot and building is just one of those "hobbies within a hobby". Funny
but my wife doesn't call it a hobby.And sometimes she doesn't call me sweetie either.

Lane