Author Topic: now this is just over doing it  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Postman

Re: now this is just over doing it
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »
I think the doohicky thatholds your c bow at full draw for you is a hoot.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
Why hunt with a bow? The answer is because it is hard to do right!  and it is a challenge of ones skill VS nature.  Making newer and easier ways to havest deer with a "c" bow dilutes the core and the sprirt of the sport. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:27:05 pm »
Kpete. I have thought about the transmitter a lot and think it would be a great idea. How many guys post that they hit a deer but couldnt find it?  How many didn't post it but also wounded one?  If guys were honest, compound and recurve/longbow alike, we wound and fail to find a lot of deer annually. I am all for a simple tool that increases a hunters ability to recover a wounded animal.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
the fella was trying to get the transmitter to fit on a "dart" that would sit on top of the arrow. Then it would stay with the carcass even with a pass through.   The challenge is getting it down to a reasonable price.  His idea was that guys could go together and buy a receiver and then only have the cost of the transmitters for their arrows.
I am not of a mind to go that way.  Yes we lose a critter from time to time, but not sure I want to go that techy.  I would much prefer if Wyoming would legalize the use of blood-trailing with a dog.
Kirk

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:26 am »
I think many deer recover after being hit with an poorly placed shot.  I have seen deer later in the season that I hit but did not kill.  Many deer bed down and bleeding stops then healing begins.  If we put pressure on the deer I would think they would be pushed further and the stress could prevent them from recovering.  They might die out of radio range.  I am a ham radio operater and I can tell you a a small transmitter of that size has very limited application.  There are other factors to consider with this as well for example weather, hills will block signals, batteries need to be strong all the time, the stronger the output the shorter the battery life will be. The best way to do this would be for the transmitter to send a GPS location but the deer would have to die so the antenna could could see satellites.  I don't see this idea working well do to the scale.  Another question is do we want transmiters in deer that don't die.  I don't want to be field dressing a deer and find batteries corroded in a deer I just harvested.  Dogs yes! Because coyotes will be doing the same thing. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 11:17:36 am »
From hunting coondogs with tracking collars most of my life in different states and strange areas I can speak first hand as to the topoghraphical gliches and battery life this arrow transmitter would be like to use.Anyway to me it's just another way to take an unethical shot.Waste of money and time by the inventer whom I'm sure has zero ethics himself.It's like this man against deer,respect on both ends.No luminocks,sight pins range finders,etc.Just think if a deer had this technology.....LOL.Dumb thing to say but you can tell what I mean.Deer to me are a beautiful part of nature even with their frustrating nature.It makes a person respect them even more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 12:17:04 pm »
OK I am a geek but not when it comes to hunting that is where I draw the line. Below are photos of a spy plane I custom built. This plane has a TV transmitter so the plane can be flown from a TV screen it also has a GPS locater and a data entry log that records the flight of the plane in real time and is transmitted to a computer on the ground and displays the movement of the plane like a radar screen. I also out fitted the plane with a beacon that will transmit 24 hours after a crash. Now I can tell you that the plane will transmit about 1/2 mile but you need to understand that the plane is line of sight. Now with a yagi I can do better but if a deer is in a creek (dry) and is laying on the transmitter there will be little chance of locating that animal at any great distance. Now a way to improve this would be to have a balloon that could take your receiver into the air for a better line of sight hearing of the transmitter but you would not hear it either. This is not real practical because of wind. YES I KNOW I AM A GEEK!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:23:25 pm by iowabow »

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:05 pm »
@iowabow.....so that's how pictures of me running around my back yard in only a tutu got posted all over the internet :o.....thanks man :laugh:

My take on it is whatever floats your boat.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 04:08:19 pm »
Cool plane. I went through the c phase when I first started. 9 years I'll never get back  :'( It did teach me archery and what I liked and didn't like, not all lost.The next 14 were better. We are a consumer driven society. Money has to flow. C bows are more for the instant gratifaction crowd. Fast accurate and shiney. Rather then learning a craft. I'm not against all techy stuff I got a digital trail cam I still have my guilty pleasures >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »
I like looking at the trails that the deer make eating corn

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »
I want the transmitters for my arrow just so I can bloody well find the arrows!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:21 pm »
"Honey grab my wool, my selfbow, my sourwood arrows and my transmitters, Im going huntin!"........"Come on man!" My wife would look at me sideways and say...."what...?"
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »
If you  could shoot like me you would not have that problem.  I miss most of the time. Hehe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:11:54 am by iowabow »