Author Topic: Went on a South Texas whitetail and exotic hunt  (Read 4573 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Went on a South Texas whitetail and exotic hunt
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »
Last weekend I was blessed to be invited on a South Texas whitetail and exotic hunt with the prospect of taking a blackbuck, sitka, fallow or even an elk. 

It was a last minute thing for me. Someone could not go so I was invited.  It is a 1200 acre high fence ranch near Georgewest with a bunk house filled with lots of trophies, a warm comfy bed, satellite TV, a huge kitchen and a large table to sit around drink coffee and tell stories...

It was a six hour drive from my home.  We arrived Firday night about 7 with all the anticipation of a kid the night before Christmas.  It was hard to go to sleep. 

Our guild drove us out to the blinds and we were dropped off about 5:45.  I sat in a blind overlooking a feeder and the ranch truck sprayed corn down the senderos as it drove off. 

As the sun came up I saw two yearling does that were as skittish as a cat in a yard full of pitbulls.  There were three of us and we were all picked up around 9AM.  No body saw a thing, but young skittish does and hogs.  Back at the bunkhouse we were welcomed to a nice filling Mexican breakfast by the camp cook.  I took a nap and my two amigos shot at the range. 

We again loaded up, but I did not get to my blind until a little after 4PM.  As I sat there in a new spot I texted with my other to friends on the hunt.  Nada... When a Jake presented a shot I took it and bagged the only meat of the trip.  The owner was a bit nasty about me taking a turkey and said folks pay $500 to shoot them even though we had been told that we could take turkeys. 

None of us saw a whitetail buck.  Not one and none of us saw any exotics.  Come to find out they buy a few exotics as babies, raise them in a pen and then release them and draw folks in with the promise of taking an exotic animal.  We saw a few of the exotic babies they had penned up as well as a 160 whitetail they had penned up with about 20 does.  That was the only buck we saw except for mounts in the bunkhouse. 

We hunted again on Sunday morning and we all saw does WHICH WE COULD NOT HARVEST.  We were not interested in hogs.  The trip was free as the lease is paid for by a company that the salesmen take customers on.  Someone is paying a lot of money for the lease. 

I have read about "canned" hunts.  I never thought I would go on one.  During the weekend the guide kept saying, "they need to plant more animals."  I am sick to my stomach to think that on all that land 3 of us on 3 different times did not see a singe buck.  We were also so close to the bunkhouse that we could hear kids playing. 

Folks like the ones running that ranch give lots of the rest of us a bad name.  What I saw this weekend was in my opinion fraud and unethical to say the least. 

I had a great time because I was in great company and my friend and I had 12 hours to talk and I was thankful for the opportunity to hunt, but I knew it was a bad omen when in the stand that first morning written on the wall was, "buzzards.  No deer.  11-20-10."

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Went on a South Texas whitetail and exotic hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »
Yeah, pretty sad.  When money enters the world of hunting, everything is for sale including integrity. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »
Good point J.W. but if it's for sale it's not integrity any more.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:28:09 pm »
Too bad Cipriano. Sounds like somebody with an idea and not quite set up to provide just yet. I watched that buck in the backyard today plus a doe with two yearlings - just let em slide :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
Yuck. Sorry for the poor hunting experience Cip. At least your wise enough to find a bright spot in there somewhere.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
Too bad Cipriano. Sounds like somebody with an idea and not quite set up to provide just yet. I watched that buck in the backyard today plus a doe with two yearlings - just let em slide :).

Yes sir Paul, but they actually have a lot of resources from oil and gas they are just not being good stewards of the land... Well in my opinion. 

You gotta get that buck buddy..  ;)

True JW and cracker, but most hunting down here is pay as you hunt or pay to hunt. 

I did have a great time.  Before I left I REALLY wanted to bring Diego along.  I am so glad that I did not. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:50 pm »
That's a bummer. Sounds like you and your friends made the most of it though. I've been to a few places like that here in Michigan. Unless you have good private land to hunt on here, sometimes it's almost worth it to pay a ranch owner just to put meat in the freezer. 

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:52:04 pm »
Yep, deer hunting is tricky here in TX...that's why I stay away from it.  I'll hunt anything but deer nowadays.  I can get all the deer hides I want from my local processor anyway.  Haven't been turkey huntin' yet but I think I'll pass on that too.  Now doves, varmints, and fishing...that's the ticket!   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 11:41:41 am »
a cousin and i went on a south texas hunt back in 96.  we searched the texas dnr booklet and found a small ranch for lease that was surrounded by thousands of acres of private land near kerville.  i think it cost $50 a day each to lease but we saw a ton of deer.  i had my heart on a blackbuck but didn't see any.  i would love to go back and bow hunt that area again.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:04 pm »
Nothing wrong with a big piece of fenced land, But, anyone that thinks a "canned" hunt is different than shooting a hereford in a pasture ain't a "Hunter"  just a shooter.
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline criveraville

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:53:31 am »
Yep Dave... We know that too well here in Texas.  Don't get me wrong.  Lots of folks here have land and lots of great hunting.. Dove hunting is fun Patrick and fishing with the family can not be beat..

Mechslasher, I hunted in Harper up by Kerrville on a friends 1200 acre place in college.  They had free roaming exotics and I was lucky enough to take a nice blackbuck and several whitetail does.  Great trip. 

Sparrow you have a point.  Big business in many states and parts of the country and when it becomes a business I think it becomes less of a hunt..

Cipriano