Author Topic: -- WANTED TEXJAM--  (Read 20610 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: -- WANTED TEXJAM--
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:31 pm »
I would like to see something in Texas. I am a novice bowyer in the north Texas area, and would be very interested in attending.

Mike, if you're still around (this is an OLD thread I just realized) we're not that far from each other if you'd like to do some building together.  I'm betting you're no longer a novice.  Anyway, I love to have company in my shop.  Don't have much room to shoot, but I do run out to the deer lease and chase hogs a time or 2 a month.  Cipriano and I are leaving after lunch today to go out, shoot bows, chase pigs and break some rock this weekend.  You're welcome to join us next time if you want.

neuse, I agree that Waco is centrally located and it would work for me.  I think we need a volunteer to host a get-together that has the spot for it.  I'd forgotten to ask my landowner, but will see him later today and ask.  But, that's not Waco and probably wouldn't be convenient for more than a few of us.  I still think it's worth doing if I can get permission.  Of course, if it rains like it just did (4" in 3 weeks) without 4wd you'd probably not make it 30' inside the gate.  That doesn't happen very often here.  I guess I should ask the question, how many people would consider going to the Abilene, TX area for a get-together? 

I went ahead and called the land-owner and he said he didn't have a problem with it and would possibly join us.  So, the question is who would come if I hosted a get-together at my deer/hog lease near Cross Plains, TX in the mid-June timeframe?  The 2 possible dates in my calendar are the evening of June 10 through the morning of June12, or the evening of June 24 through the morning of June 26.  It will be rustic.  No running water and no electricity (other than a generator which I do run daily).  There is an old outhouse.  It will be getting hot by then.  We have a fire pit, but lately there've been burn bans.  Hopefully with the recent rains that has been lifted...I doubt it.  We can hog hunt (4 feeders are running) but they'll likely get spooky and leave with all the activity and noise, never know though.  The lease is only 200 acres.  There's a good spot for a few 3d targets, but I don't own any.  There is a motel in Cross Plains, 6 miles away.  I might need some help to pull this off.

If there's interest from this group I'll post a thread to get a larger audience.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
Gee ....there aint nothing any wheres near me...It's like the Texas Panhandle doesn't exist at all.......... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:29:30 pm »
Not true Mike.  I went 4 hours west of my place to pick a spot.  You're only 80 minutes further from Cross Plains than I am.  I did my best to average the distance between us.  OK, it was my only choice... ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »
Still like to take you up on that Hog Hunt one weekend though... I may even be able to drag a Buddy of mine with Me to split the Expenses!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 12:58:24 pm »
I'd love it.  Let me know if you have dates in mind.  I have to go at least once a month to keep feed in the feeders.  It'll be a tad hot in July and August, as I'm sure you know.  I have a new night vision toy we can play with if you like.  It's out for repair now. ???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »
I have an ND3x40 Green Laser Light...and some lights from www elusivewildlife.com...Green LED's that mount to either a Bow or Rifle too...they will light up a Coyote at 150 yards...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 01:51:23 pm »
PM sent Mike.  Don't want to detract too much from this thread.  I do want to see a Texas get-together.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 02:30:03 pm »
Cross Plains or Abilene is good for me. ;D  Any rock on that lease?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »
Yes, but not a lot.  Haven't found any flint nodules larger than a baseball.  Lots of flakes and a couple rock mounds so I think at some point there was a bunch of flint.  I would love to get see your video techniques in person.  Wonder if we could get Cowboy to come down?

I'm off to go hunting.  Talk to y'all on Sunday.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »
you just might sure get me to come on down ;D. I thought ya'll we're talking about Mikes place up there in Stinnet for a second - man, to have access to some of that alibates ::), drool, drool... Anywho, ya'll keep this rolling George. Never know what might come of it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline neuse

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 10:34:40 am »
Abilene works for me. I would like to sit in with some knappers.

Offline neuse

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 10:40:39 am »
Something elese that might work is to pick a general location and then find a state park near by and this is where we could host the event.
Electrity, water and bathrooms on site.
I have some tools I could bring.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 08:56:41 am »
I'd be fine with me if we just had a knappers get-together at the lease this time, though the little bit I did this weekend makes me embarassed to even be seen with you guys.  I sure need some help with the basics.  TexJam is perhaps bigger than I can handle.  I was just out at the lease in all its rusticity and a state park with amenities would sure be a lot nicer.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Stephen Zachary

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 08:30:31 am »
id love t see something in texas as we have next to nothing in Louisiana

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:56 pm »
OK, I have finalized my get-together plans.   This will be at my Cross Plains, TX (about 2.5 hrs West of Ft Worth) deer/hog lease the weekend of June 10-12.  I'll start a new thread with more info but check your calendars if you're in driving distance and interested.  There's a little bed space that'll be first come first served.  I'll be happy to help with bow building but need somebody else to help me and others with knapping.  I haven't finalized all plans but wanted to give as much lead time as possible.  If nobody can make that weekend I'll be out there hog hunting anyway so it's a win/win for me.  I'm sure open to suggestions and help.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX