Author Topic: Is this end sealing idea stupid?  (Read 13938 times)

TurtleCreek

Is this end sealing idea stupid?
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »
  I will be heading out later today in search for a sapling or two suitable to make a bow/bows out of.  I want to seal the ends as soon as I cut them so here's my "stupid" idea- I plan on taking a wax crayon to rub over the cut ends and then melting that with a lighter to seal it.  Will that do the trick?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Is this end sealing idea stupid?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »
don't know if that will work, but it seems like if wax works, it would be easier to melt a candle over it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

TurtleCreek

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »
  I could try that too....  Just looking for a way to immediately seal the ends as it's a little too cold up here to use any type of urethane or shellac outside.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »
A lot of guys dip the ends in melted wax, but you'll need a heat source.  When it's cold, I just use spray latex primer.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »
I just bring a tube of glue allong with me it would still take some time to dry in the cold but I dont see it being a big issue? I have never tried wax but have heard of others using it. Let us know how it works seems like a good alternative in cold weather, but again I have never tried it?

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
I just buy a gallon of the cheapest deck sealer I can find and dip the whole end in. Or, cut them extra long and dont worry about sealing it at all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:27:26 pm »
  I'll be hiking back in quite a distance and thought this would be a good idea that I could just fit in my pocket as I don't want to carry too much stuff with me..  The wife will be tagging along for a photo expedition and we'll be taking her vehicle, I figured the wax method would be a better option as it would set and dry better in cold weather.  If I used glue and got any of that on the seats or floor of her vehicle, I might as well just stay in the woods and live there for a few years!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »
  I'll be hiking back in quite a distance and thought this would be a good idea that I could just fit in my pocket as I don't want to carry too much stuff with me..  The wife will be tagging along for a photo expedition and we'll be taking her vehicle, I figured the wax method would be a better option as it would set and dry better in cold weather.  If I used glue and got any of that on the seats or floor of her vehicle, I might as well just stay in the woods and live there for a few years!

;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »
What exactly are you cutting and what diameter? With most whitewoods you should have enough time to get it to your vehicle and get it to your garage where it'll be warm enough for using shellac or glues etc....I've done this before n once when I was concerned about it I just got some gooey mud and covered the ends,and that kept it fine till I got home.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
  I would be looking for elm or hickory saplings 2 to 3 inches across

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »
I just cut a log that's a few inches longer than I need, so that I can cut the ends off when I get ready to make a bow. It's rare for checks to affect wood more than an inch or two from the end of a stave or log, at least in my experience.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:03:21 pm »
Elm n hickory will be fine till you get it home. Leave the crayons at home for the kids to play with...lol :laugh:

And I as well always cut a few inches above and below of the best useable length stave in a tree/sapling.  ;)

Now go on n get out there >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:37:59 pm »
I always thought wax on the ends would be easy to damage or break off on the trip out of the woods and to the house.  Never tried it so I don't know for sure.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »
I just use a bottle of elmer's glue, just like the kind we use to eat in grade school  :D
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »
Melt chocolate over the ends... at least you can give it a crafty lick on the way back if you get hungry ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.