Author Topic: Is this end sealing idea stupid?  (Read 13940 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Is this end sealing idea stupid?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:18 pm »
With little to no sap in the tree right now the odds of those ends doing anything in the next few months are slim to none.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 06:57:21 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it until I got back home. Cut them long and never seal the ends.  A bottle of cheap wood glue(Elmers, etc) will seal lots of 3" saplings and wouldn't be difficult to carry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 07:57:56 pm »
I agree with you there PearlDrums. I cut some 3'' diameter staves about 3 weeks ago in the freezing pouring rain.
I brought them inside, peeled the bark off and they have been in 75' temp since and no checking what so ever.
I have to wonder if it is better to harvest wood for bows in the winter, rather than spring or summer.
Johnny
in Texas

TurtleCreek

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
  good idea Del....  Maybe a snickers bar melted and coating the ends.  I hear the caramel and nougat are good at preventing checks:)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:39 pm »
You can brush on some poly when you get back to your house. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 10:22:12 am »
 Ive used string wax before so I'm sure that will work. The ends don't have to be sealed solid just slow down the moisture loss. I've also used spray paint a lot. I cut my staves longer easer to add reflex while green and if there  4 or 5  inchs to long. I don't even bother just cut them off when your ready to start. If the woods where you have to follow a ring it's much better to see the ring also.

BOW JUNKIE on woods that you remove the bark and sap wood removeing alows the moisture to excape evenly. Where you leave the bark on more moister has to go out the ends. Sealing pervents this.
  I do cut my staves in the winter now. When younger and could'nt wait I've cut a lot in the summer. Never really could tell the difference in proformance. There is a differnce in drying time. Now I do cut all my staves in the winter only because thats when I love being out and about. Plus it's my down time between buck season and gobbler season.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING