Author Topic: got my heart up a little today  (Read 3493 times)

Offline recurve shooter

got my heart up a little today
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »
My buddy and I were out scouting/squirrel hunting this morning, not realy being quiet or careful or anything, mostly just looking for places to deer hunt. We stopped in a hardwood bottom and were looking around and talking about places to build a blind when we heard something moving in the leaves. We assumed it was a squirrel or something so we stood with out .22s still slung over our shoulders and watched with out hands in our pockets. About 5 seconds later we saw the 3 does picking their way through the brush. Now I have no idea how they didn't see/hear/smell us far before that. We wernt being exactly stealthy. Anyway we drew out pistols. When we hunt we our handguns, I carry a Heckler and Koch HK45, 45acp, and he carrys a much better suited ruger blackhawk 357. The ole girl stopped broad side, leg forward and stood for a good 30 seconds before she busted us and ran. She was at about 30 yards, and we both set our personal range limit for the handguns at 20. I could have hit her where it counted, I'm confident of that, but I don't trust my 45 to have enough penetration past 20 yards. His 357, on the other hand, would have had plenty of power, but he isn't confident in his shot placement past 20.

Now keep in mind neither of us have killed a deer in like 7 years, so passing up an oportunity is a big deal for us lol. But it feels good to know we made the responsible decission. Showing descression is what sepperates a good hunter from the rest of the clowns we share the woods with.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: got my heart up a little today
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »
I killed a 160# Boar Hog with a 2" shield at 50 yds with my 45 ACP.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:34 pm »
Wow! Yea that's awsome. What ammo were you using? I had golden sabers in it this morning
lets just shoot it

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:26:19 pm »
Second hand story but all the details are there....
my buddy Darrell was squirrel hunting down near what we call the "honey hole" when his brother called him on his cell phone. He's standing there talking when a small buck comes walking along the creek. He tells his brother to hang on, draws his .45 and shoots the deer killing it. Goes back to the conversation and simply answers "yes" when his brother asks if that was a shot that he just heard.
I love a good hunting story!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »
I was shooting 240 grn round ball. Went through both sides with no problem.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:47:01 pm »
Good on you guys for knowing your limitations and following them when its been that long since you shot one. Better to pass on one then spend severall days trying to find a wounded animal. Of course allot of guys dont spend near enough time searching for wounded animals, or they just brush it off as it was just grazed and will be fine ::)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:36 am »
Lol shoulda known it was a black powder mullet used.

Deer are strange critters. They either bust you for absolutly no reason or ignor you when your realy obvious lol
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 01:35:01 am »
Sorry, meant 230 grn bullet weight, not Black Powder. I shot it with a Sig.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 01:59:24 am »
Federal GM45A 230-grain FMJ from a 5" barrel

860-fps @ muzzle
780-fps @ 100 yards (doesn't slow down much, does it?)

Energy at muzzle: 380 ft/lbs
Energy at 100 yd: 310 ft/lbs (doesn't loose a lot, it seems)

I'd say the maximum effective range is just beyond 100 yards as far as accuracy is concerned. I would wager that the energy to incapacitate goes beyond beyond 100 yards as well.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:10:24 pm »
Recurve  I  think  you  did  the right thing!!!when in  doubt,,, sit it out.  I've  done  tons  and  tons  of  research  and testing on  anything  .45  really  most anything is  possible!   my  favorite  handgun  load is  a  real hot ruger black hawk   .45lc  .240gr sierra  semi jacketed hollow point   my  max  is  75 yards!! the  gun  needs  a  much  better  shooter  than me  good job JEFFW

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »
My usual hog gun is my Ruger Super Redhawk with 300 grain hollow points.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »
I know in some places it's illegal to hunt with any semi-automatic handgun.  Revolvers only.  Apparently in Perry County, IN you can get a nice little fine for it.  I was contemplating hunting using my 50AE Desert Eagle and was informed not to do that because of this.  Due to that, I said "Okay. I suppose I can just use my 500S&W".

Then I became lazy and didn't take the hunters education course and just didn't hunt lol

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »
Recurve shooter your .45 would have had plenty of penetration power at that range!  But since you werent sure I applaud you making the right decision and holding off.  But next time as long as your confident in your ability for shot placement pull the trigger!!!!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »
You made the right choice.  If you don't feel confident, don't take the shot.  Now for your worry about the power of your weapon, I don't really get it?  I use a Lyman Plains Pistol, 50 cal. patch and ball set up when hunting w/a handgun and I'd take a 30 yard shot w/ it if I had the chance.  Never had the opprotunity though.  Know your weapon and be confident w/ it, that's the bottom line.  You made the right choice.  dpgratz

??If your gun range is 20 yards, what's your bow range...?? Sorry, I just had to write that.  >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:46:42 pm »
Lol my range for THAT gun is 20 yards. And the reason I wasn't sure about the power came from all the other gun forums where people who probably hunt with ar platforms chambered in 50 beowulf. I should have known the guys who hunt with two sticks and a pointy rock would have confidence in it.

Anyway, my patience was rewarded today. About 500 yards from that spot I laced a little 6 point with my rifle.

Then I realised I had to drag it over a mile to the truck lol

First deer in 7 years was an amazing feeling. Couldn't hardly breathe for a few seconds. :)
lets just shoot it