Author Topic: knapping problems  (Read 9470 times)

Offline armymedic.2

knapping problems
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:48 am »
so i have begun to attempt knapping and besides the step fractures and breaking stone in half by accidebnt i am doing allright.   :-\  The main thing i don't understand, is are there other ways to thin the peice besides chipping from the edge.  what happens is i will recieve or end up with a shape close to what i want, but one side will be very thick, and then when i try to thin it it will either not flake for me at all, so im left with a lopsided peice, or it will thin but at the cost of losing much of that side in thinning.  can i strike in the middle of the head to thin out instead of in?  all i have now is a large antler billet and pressure flaker, but i have two smaller sized copper boppers on their way so i am hoping that this helps.  i am using obsidian and novaculite.  I made two heads from large flakes of obsidian, but have not yet been able to make a peice from a large stone.  any advice on thinning without losing the edge would be apppreciated, unless it is a fools errand.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline episaacs

Re: knapping problems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:30:13 am »
When  your preform is still large enough, you can thin quite a bit from the ends (assuming you have enough to sacrifice some length).  Just be careful to protect the other end from endsnap.  If you haven't already done so, go to paleoplanet and look at edbo's posts that link to his you tube videos.  You will be impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EDBO23

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:42:00 am »
There are a bunch of great videos on youtube that will help. Losing width while thinning is inevitible, a palm-sized spall will often yield a fairly small point if it's got some thickness to remove (most do). You have to have the right platform angles and strike at the correct angle to take good thinning flakes without losing a lot of size. If your flakes aren't going past the center of the point, you're losing width faster than you're losing thickness. Practice, practice, practice. Watch the youtube videos. Destroy a few tons of rock and it will start falling into place. If you can make it to a knap-in and watch people knapping in person, it will help a lot, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:52:04 am »
thanks folks, i will watch the u tubes, and i have ordered much more rock to destroy.  i guess i will continue to apprentice  ??? ;D

MattE

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:13:01 pm »
The way I have found to thin heads is to use the thin part of a spall,(preform) for the back of the head. When I use the thickest part for the point end it is easy to thin as it will be the narrowest part and running a flake completely across is easy.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:15 pm »
matt, that makes sense.  i  have been doing just the opposite, and i will try your way.   i have made a couple that came out well, but that it is out ten or so,  my others are flakes sharpened.  i think i may also be using percuission for too long, and need to switch to pressure sooner.  i am only using pressure to sharpen at this point, and have come to think that may be way i am breaking too many-percussing while it is too thin.  thanks all.

MattE

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 09:53:30 pm »
What kind of stone I have is the deciding factor of whether I use percussion or pressure.
I use all pressure on Obsidian and all percusion on Ryolite.These materials are at opposite end on the hardness scale.Material that falls in between these two may get both methods applied to them. I do sharpen all my edges with percussion....... I don't know how to post pictures but maybe One of the other fellows here will . there are some pretty good knappers on this forum that know all the little tricks and turn.

MattE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:36:52 am »
I typed an incorrect word in my previous post. I mean't to say all my edges are done by pressure flaking not percussion. Sorry for the error!
Take care friends.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:17:57 am »
thanks matt, i can not seem to get lopng flakes for thinning with pressure well, so i am stioll using percussion on obsidian in the beginning.  gives me abou a 30% success rate, but will have to do until i get better at getting long flakes with pressure.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51:23 pm »
    When you get to the point you are getting the preform thin,Try using pressure flaking to set up a platform.Then by pinching  and pulling with your fingers you can make the flake travel where you want with percussion.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 12:19:17 pm »
im not sure i understand what you mean by pinching and pulling the point to control flakes.... ???

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »
Pinching and pulling is when you hold the point in your hand, pressing with your finger(s) on the place where the flake will come off. This helps to hold it together and makes it run farther. With practice, you can "pull" on the piched flake as it detaches, making it run even further.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 06:58:19 pm »
Yep thays what I meant,thanks Steve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Beleg813

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 05:56:41 pm »
When  your preform is still large enough, you can thin quite a bit from the ends (assuming you have enough to sacrifice some length).  Just be careful to protect the other end from endsnap.  If you haven't already done so, go to paleoplanet and look at edbo's posts that link to his you tube videos.  You will be impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EDBO23

Thanks a ton for this link. I had no idea that Youtube could be such a valuable source on flintknapping, and I believe that for myself, seeing it done over and over again is a better tool to learn as opposed to terrific images in a book.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 06:52:55 pm »
AM: All before is good advice. You really need to hook up with someone who knaps if only for a few hours - that may take months off of your learning curve :). Edge preparation and angle of percussion/ pressure are the two most criticle steps. The pinch and pull method will come around with practice - prepare a platform below center line of your peice (to the side you want the flake to come off) I'll use my elbows against my legs to improve accuracy, pinch the rock between your thumb and and index finger with your finger pulling back as if your pulling the flake off, get the angle you want by tilting at the wrist, take a few tests swings - then rare back and hit that sucker ;D....Once their about 1/4" thick roughly I'll go to the Ishi stick, pretty much have a finished point with the stick, use my small hand flaker for sharpening and fine tuning. Will get you some points in the mail soon - good luck ;)

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.