Author Topic: How to identify Chert and Flint.....  (Read 24040 times)

TurtleCreek

How to identify Chert and Flint.....
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:03:10 am »
  I am a total newbie to knapping and will start pretty soon.  I hope to be able to collect my own rock and was wondering how I can identify chert and flint.  There are several locations near my home- rocky creeks/creek beds and areas that around here we call wash-outs which are basically large sandy slopes coming off hill sides that are loaded with all kinds of rock.  I have seen a bunch that appears to be like flint and chert but I would like to know how to positively identify the rock. Thanks

Offline Jimbob

Re: How to identify Chert and Flint.....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:49:02 am »
I was always told to pick one up and hit it, if it flakes its good.  another way is to tap it with another rock and if it sounds kinda like glass or has a "ring" to it.  You'll be able to tell the difference, a rock that isnt chert or a knappable one will sound dull when you tap it.  Watch paleomanjims video on finding flint, its helpfull.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:19 am »
Hit it....pick up a hammerstone and whack it....lol...itll give you a conical fracture if its chert,and have a sharp edge to the flake and stone...youll know it and see what i mean when struck......this might help point you in some right directions on your area,and will give you some leads to go off of

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/32979#.Tuc6i4m2U-U

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »
  Thanks guys.....  gonna go rock huntin' on my days off.  I also heard that if you find flakes of it, you can strike it with the back of a steel knife and if it's flint/chert it will make sparks....  is that correct?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04:12 pm »
I've always been told by geologist that there is no real Flint in the US. Just real good Chert and not so good Chert.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:05:39 am »
I will see what I can find what will work based on the flake and sparks tests and I will post the goods

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:38:51 am »

Like Mullet said, I too have heard that there is no actual flint in the US, just variations of low to high quality chert.  I once mentioned that to a man from Ohio, who was showing me a piece of horn stone, and he proceeded to tell me all about "Flint Ridge" in Ohio!  He was very adamant about there being "Flint" there!If you want to split hairs, what is Flint?  Very high quality Chert?  Or another amalgam of silicates? If you are trying to get a spark from the rock in your area, be sure to use carbon steel, not stainless. ;)  Just do like they said knock off a corner, and see how it reacts, and if it looks glassy, or slick.  I don't know if Wisconsin has "flint" or chert, or not.  I did find an arrow head on my uncle's dairy farm, where the cows walked to the barn.  I don't know if it was local rock, or trade material.  Good luck.

Wayne

TurtleCreek

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:18:22 am »
  I have been told that in my area that all I am likely to find is chert.  I will have to sort through my collection of stuff to locate an arrowhead that I had found in Richland County a few years ago along a creek bed.  I will post a pic when I find it and see if you guys can identify what type of stone it is.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:10 pm »
Check w/ a local college, they may have an archeology class, find them and they will talk your ear off about what's in and what's not in your area.  Keep your eye out when around stripp malls, shopping centers and fast food restaurants they sometimes have materials as landscaping.  Watch out what you're asking for though, this is very addictive as a hobby.  ;) >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:15:20 am »
I've walked around in nw wisconsin looking for knappables with no luck. Found lots of good bow wood though  :). Everybody's right though. Just whack em and if they flake halfway decent then haul em home and go to work. Good luck..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:17 am »
  I see a bunch of rock around these areas that has a waxy look to it and it looks like a chunk of caramel

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »
Sounds like Jasper. Some of it works and is usually very hard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 02:49:02 pm »
  Some of it even has little spots of a dull white color in it

Offline bushman

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 03:16:16 am »
Got any pictures TurtleCreek?
Bushman

TurtleCreek

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 03:52:20 am »
  Not yet... I will be heading out on my next days off to go get some though, I will post pics then.