Author Topic: Hello from D.C. area  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Ringeck85

Hello from D.C. area
« on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:25 am »
Hello all!

I'm new to the site and just wanted to say I'm excited to get to know some of you and learn more about primitive archery.  I do not have much experience in archery as I've only started learning very recently with a 55# longbow.  I may have started out with a slightly heavier draw weight than I need to, as I've read several places that it's wiser to start out with a lighter draw weight in order to get technique down.  But I am interested in increasing my draw weight gradually, and so I decided to get a bow I could work into.  Perhaps that was a mistake, but that's what I have to work with so far.

My interests are primarily concerned archery styles that were around in the Middle Ages or thereabouts, so the history behind archery or bow making is something of particular interest to me:
-shooting with the english war bow,
-shooting with composite recurve bows such as Hungarian, Mongolian, Chinese, or Turkish style  (I am interested in both techniques of release, Mediterranean three fingered and via thumb ring; can anyone recommend one or the other for starting out?)
-shooting with Native American bows
-learning how to make self bows and/or composite bows
-learning decent accuracy at moving targets as well as staionary
-learning how to shoot with very fast rates of fire (or whatever the term is for rapid fire)
-learning how to aim and shoot long distances, from 150 to 250 meters if possible.

I'm interested in just about everything concerning primitive and medieval archery, though I do not have a lot of time or funds currently, so for the time being I'm limited to a lighter English longbow until later next year.

Does anyone live near my area and/or have any advise for someone that's practically starting out?

-J.S. "Ringeck" 
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello from D.C. area
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:15:37 am »
Welcome to PA, Ringeck. You should be able to fulfill your wish list through out the general topics and get more specific on the War Bow thread. Some of the best in all catagories are members here on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 10:23:43 am »
Welcome Ringneck,enjoy the ride.Pretty big wish list but there experts in all the areas you mentioned  right here.  :) Just ask. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »
Welcome and what has already been said. Just start scrolling back through the pages for the different topics, that should keep you occupied for awhile. And, having the magazine delivered to your door with give you some to read over and over.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:54:52 am »
Welcome to P.A.!  It looks like you have an enormous interest in learning so that's great.  I've been at it for 3 years and feel like I'm starting to get a grip on things now, but have enjoyed every minute of the process.  Throw your hat into the ring and just take it a step at a time.  If you've got "the bug" like most of us, you've got a great ride ahead of you. 
Learn to make a flatbow - go on the bows link and start yourself out a thread, people will guide you through.  Once, you get yourself set up and learn the basics, there are enough possibilities to keep you occupied for the rest of your days.

Have fun and take your time, rushing was my beginners mistake.

Stephen Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
thank you all so much for the welcome!

Yeah, I know I have a big wish list; gotta wish big, no?  I may not be able to get to all of that stuff immediately, but an interest is an interest, and I'm definitely interested for the long run to learn as much as I can.  I envision some day writing a book about medieval archery the world over, sort of a compendium of different styles and designs, with reliable practical experience in each style.

Parnell, I think I'll take your advice as to starting with a flatbow, it looks perhaps a little simpler to make (not to mention a little cheaper) than starting off with a traditional war bow design, and I've read in some of the threads that ash and hickory (probably the best hardwoods in my area to find for bow making) are well designed for flat bows.  It would be a great place to start.

I'll definitely keep my eye out on the threads here for advice, and I think I'll definitely try to get involved with the plans/interest for starting an American Warbow Society.

I did want to ask again, does anyone practice or know anyone who either practices traditional/primitive archery or bow making in the D.C./Northern Virginia/Southern Maryland area?
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)