Author Topic: Lovelock Cave atlatl  (Read 9887 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Lovelock Cave atlatl
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »
I am drawn to oddness.  Difference catches my eye.  I saw a couple of drawings of this atlatl in obscure publications and was smitten.  How odd this looked.    I had to make one. 
The atlatl was found in Lovelock Cave, Nevada in the early 1900’s.  M. R. Harrington published drawings of it. The atlatl was 17 inches long made of grease wood. The spur and any binding were not located with this artifact.  The original artifact was lost after publication so no further measurements or images are possible. 
With some educated guesswork I used the scanty information and drawings to spec out my own version.  I took a piece of Baldcypress wood that came from a blown down limb to craft the body.  Why cypress?  I had some of that and none of the greasewood.  I don’t even know how the two compare.  At This point this was about art as much as replica making.  Inspiration matters.
Then I began shaping a white-tail deer antler into a spur.  Lastly I cut a strip of leather to wrap the handle.  The original artifact did not have this, but neither did it have a spur.  After I was done and brought everything together for assembly, I ran across some Aztec atlatl images that had pegs in the groove.  It got me to thinking about an easier and more likely way to craft a spur for this atlatl and still make use of the V notch.   Thus, I have drawn a design for my next version of this atlatl with a peg style spur.  Perhaps one of you will be drawn to something odd and make a Lovelock Cave atlatl for yourself!

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Lovelock Cave atlatl
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:48:21 pm »
more pix

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:04 pm »
and some more of the final product

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:17 pm »
I like it, nice job.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
have you thrown with it yet ??
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:38:15 am »
Thats nice, thanks for sharing!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:09:01 pm »
Yes, I did use it to throw.  Every thrower deserves to be broken in don't you think?  It is short and stout compared to what I prefer.  My fingers are not terribly large but the two indention meant for fingers is a tight for me.  The leather helps though.  All in all I would give it a 7.5 on a scale of 1-10.

Oh one more thing.  Dart fetching has to be close to the nock and not terribly long.  I have a couple of darts I couldn't use because of where I put the fletching.  With the darts that did work with, well let's just say it purred like a sassy cat.