Author Topic: Osage selfbow pics  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Jbell

Osage selfbow pics
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:23:17 pm »
  Here is bow that I recently made for this years deer season. I was really wanting a lighter draw weight bow this year to improve my accuracy, all my other bows are at or above 60#. I am not neccesarily terrible at that draw weight just wanted to see if I could improve a little. The upper limb was a little funky in its natural state, the bottom limb had about 1 1/2" reflex but the upper limb had a deflexed section where two knots resided. I did try to coax it with heat and a caul and it looked pretty good for awhile til about half way through the tillering process, then it crept back. So I am not so sure how to measure the set, right after bracing the bottom limb measures about 1/2" follow and the upper limb slightly over an inch. She shoots suprising fast, I haven't weighed it but it seems pretty light in the hand and is quite snappy. So any way here the specs, 62" ntn, 54#@26", 11/4" from fades to midlimb then tapering to a little less than 3/8" nocks.  The tip overlays are made of yew, water buff horn, and hickory. Thanks for looking.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Jbell

Re: Osage selfbow pics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:28:39 pm »
Here are the fulldraw pics. forgot to mention the handle is wrapped with a 24" x 1" strap of leather and the strike plate is turtle shell scale.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:41:09 pm »
Looks pretty darn impressive to me.  The tiller looks great.  When you said you wanted a little lighter, I expected more in the 45# range.  ;D   Nicely done. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:33 pm »
Very nice.I like those tips.Still workin on mine.tradrick

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:54:37 am »
Hi, The tips really tickle my fancy.  The tortoise shell strike plate is pretty cool, too.  Nice work    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:51:41 am »
Looks like a shooter to me, tiller looks great for a a bow with some character, very nice work! Steve

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 03:23:08 am »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Those tips were actually intented for a bamboo backed yew recurve that i have been messin around with but since I finished this bow first they went on this one. Will probably glue up another set for that bow as well, if I ever get it done. Also the diamondback skins were scraps from another bow, thought I may as well use them for something a little creative. Overall I am pretty pleased with this bow just need to make a few more stone tipped shoot arrows for this hunting season. :)
Justin Blunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:44:00 am »
Looks real nice Justin, tips are very striking and tiller looks right on.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:11:55 am »
A nice looking bow. It looks like a good shooter and you have a lot of good decoration ideas ;)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 09:38:16 am »

nice bow, tiller and details look good, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...

froplord

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »
Nice looking bow, I really like those tips.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 03:05:58 pm »
Fine lookin weapon ya got there, full draw looks great.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Roger

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 08:52:02 pm »
That's a dandy....that arrow looks like it'll do the job...

R

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 08:18:53 am »
I really appreciate the positive comments guys. It is nice to have a place like this to show our bows and stuff off a little bit. ;D Don't know anyone around my area makin their own stuff so it is real nice to have a place to come to if I have a question or comment. I sure have learned alot being around you fine people the last year or so. Thanks! ;)

Sorry if I dont reply to any future comments or questions, my family and I are goin on vacation for a week in the Gatlinburg, TN area. See ya'll next week. Later!
Justin Blunt

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »
Very nice osage bow.  Really like the good wood working on the tips. Looking forward to setting this one up for July Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday